CrossRoads: New build Duplex V Blue collar Home

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Prop Newb, 13th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Prop Newb

Prop Newb Member

Hi All
    First time poster, long time stalker.

So i thought id start with saying im looking at my 3rd investment property, My salary is around 155k per year, I have low living expenses and aged 26 in a few months.

My first investment was around 4 years ago and is a unit in Sydney's South. It was all i could afford at the time and has actually done pretty well! It helped me leverage to purchase a property in Brisbane's South approx 12km from CBD this time last year.

I have gained unconditional approval for a 450k loan with plenty saved in the year i have been saving. I was always so certain on my strategy, blue collar, reliable older build homes. Long term Equity Growth.

Although, I have been receiving plenty of emails lately from companies such as duplex invest. Claiming builds with low stamp duties, high yields, immediate equity after completion, 25 year depreciation and apparent long term growth in the area. I never really buy into these colourful emails but has anyone added one of these builds into their portfolio? I would be halving the purchase with my father so i still wouldn't need a higher loan amount.

Please note, I am not interested in high yields at this stage of my life, and especially after refinancing a couple months ago, my portfolio is only slightly negatively geared. I am also worried these types of builds would be a struggle to sell in the future. That would completely go against my investing goals.

As i am comfortable with my original strategy is there any advice about these builds i should know so i can lay the matter to rest and get on with it or should i be more open minded and possibly consider this?

Thanks inadvance and sorry for the wild goose chase

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

You seem to have figured out the answer in your own post - it doesn't suit your strategy.

Ketsle likes this.
  3. Prop Newb

Prop Newb Member

It's funny how when you spell these situations out you answer your own question.

But i guess i also wanted to know if anyone has had run ins with these companies? steer clear or are they legit?

Any major cons I am not considering? Something just doesn't feel right with these companies

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

When 2 people buy a property together, they become "jointly and severally" liable for the loan. It means that you are responsible for your loan as well as your farther's as is he for yours and his. This severely impacts your future borrowing capacity as the lender attributes the whole debt to you but only apportions 50% of the rental income to you, affecting your serviceability calculations on future purchasers.

Ketsle likes this.
  5. Ketsle

Ketsle Well-Known Member

Didn't know that, thanks!