Credit default

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Hemraj, 11th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hemraj

Hemraj New Member

Hi,
    I had credit default listed on my credit file back in
    18/03/2016 and I made full payment of debt by 13/07/2017
    I’m curious when my default going to erased from my credit file. Because I’m planning to buy house, for that I need positive credit file.

I know it’s gonna stay for 5 year. Does 5 year count from the date of default or from date of full payment.
    I would really appreciate if you could help me with this

Thank you

2. ChrisDim

ChrisDim Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that once your debt has been paid, then the finance company that listed the default OR via the provider where the default has been listed are obliged to remove it. You should contact them to discuss.

Correction: actually you are right. I just looked. Defaults stay on your file for 5 years even if you pay. But if you pay it they will have to change the status to paid. You should get a copy of your file to see what it says and calculate the dates. I am sure there is a free option to get your file as well.

Last edited: 11th Mar, 2021
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There are intermediaries who claim to have high success rate (for a fee) at getting files cleaned up. Be cautious but it may help. If the report is misleading a correction to remove may be agreed but your admission it took 16months to pay wont help that as the file may be quite accurate. Many credit clean firms use threats to have it removed because the reason for it being paid later is a matter that reflects on the individual in a disparaging way. Some credit providers wont remove things and others may not care and some will remove if asked. Consider the free suggestion and letter template here first ?

Google : credit file default removal

Last edited: 12th Mar, 2021