Cranbourne vs. Carrum Downs

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Proper Property, 22nd Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Proper Property

Proper Property Active Member

If you had to choose a suburb, would you be on Team Cranbourne or Team Carrum Downs and why?

2. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Team Cranbourne North and let's hype the absolute **** out of it.

Disclosure: I have two lots in CN. :oops:

larrylarry and SOULFLY3 like this.
  3. hummel

hummel New Member

Can someone explain what it is about Cranbourne North that appeals?

4. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Lol it's the only "good part" of Cranny!
    East is okay too in some parts I think

Cactus likes this.
  5. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Buggerd if I know, I wouldn't live there, but I bought my two lots OTP at a good price at the time and twelve months on I still haven't had to settle and they are worth atleast $50k more each. Add the right house on and I'd get another $80k each.

andrew_t and hummel like this.
  6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

which estate? :)

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Carrum Downs for sure. Some people beat fullylucky to building a temple in their backyard....

The Y-man

8. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Next to the Avenues...

9. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Good luck trying to purchase something in Carrum Downs at the moment as its a very hot market with limited stock

10. Proper Property

Proper Property Active Member

What if the property in Cranbourne was a more newer property on a good sized amount of land such as 500 square metres. What do you consider the pros and cons for both suburbs?

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I'd go C Downs - closer to the water.

The Y-man

bythebay and Chrispy like this.
  12. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Hi

The best of what is on offer is Cranbourne South on acreage, some of these properties are very nice. This is followed by other newer parts of Cranbourne that are more so towards Clyde North, which is the usual new housing estates. The worst part of Cranbourne for me is the old part close to the main shopping strip..and other little pockets near Merinda Park train station.

Carrum Downs for me is a better location as it is closer to Frankston and Dandenong so you can take advantages of the conveniences that those town centres can offer as well as been closer to the beach, if you are lucky enough you may even get stabbed....I know as I have lived in Frankston in the past!

But all in all the whole lot of Cranbourne and Carrum Downs is an absolute **** hole, I should know as I just signed a contract to purchase a property in Carrum Downs late last week so god help me!

But I have been to a couple of open for inspections over the past couple of months and believe me Carrum Downs is very hot at the moment and I just wonder if the residential properties in Carrum Downs are about to boom?

Regards,

alicudi

13. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Carrum Downs has been a hot market since late last year and prices have been increasing steadily.
    It's still an affordable area tho, with mid to high 300's buying you a decent home. New estate house and lands will take you into the 400's.. If I was looking at CD, I'd buy north, close to Sandhurst, which is a beautiful estate/suburb.

Cranbourne is a big place, divided into North West, South, East...and central which is the older area, but closest to the train station and shops/plaza. South has some nice estates and lots of $$ has gone into the building of some prestigious homes.. West is has the best access to arterial roads to the city, eastlink...
    Prices in Cranbourne have jumped considerably over the last 12 months, what was low 300's this time last year is now 370+...

I think both markets have Abit more steam in them, but out of the 2 I think the northern part of CD is where I'd invest. Pay 430k for a new H&L or walk 5 min across Wedge rd to Sandhurst and pay 550k for the same thing..

14. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Are you trying to buy at auction or private? Friend is also looking to buy there now but hasn't started the offer process as yet.

15. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

One big advantage of Carrum Downs over Cranbourne is the road and traffic situation. Trying to get to Cranbourne via Thompson or Hall Road during peak times is a nightmare. I've been stuck trying to cross Frankston-Dandenong Road for over 30 mins. My daughter is happy we convinced her to buy in Carrum Downs rather than Cranbourne just for the time and petrol she has saved not having to put up with daily traffic jams.

16. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

+1 for Carrum Downs.

17. AdamD

AdamD New Member

What is the internet situation like in Carrum Downs, is it mostly ADSL? We are looking at either of these two options at the moment and Cranbourne West has NBN in its favour.

18. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Hi

I can confirm that some parts of Carrum Downs do not have access to the NBN. I also "think" that all the new estates in Cranbourne West have the NBN.

Give it a little while and I am sure the NBN will become available to many more areas.

Regards,

alicudi

19. 3rd Drop

3rd Drop Well-Known Member

+1 for Carrum downs.
    A few points to note:
    - Established suburb, big lot size.
    - 10/12 minutes drive to Frankston/Dandenong most of the time.
    - Easy access to multiple freeways to Mornington, Springvale and eastern suburbs
    - 10 minutes drive to the closest beach.
    - You have a few buses (3) if you don't drive
    - Coles/Woolworths/Aldi/IGA/Kmart/Bunnings/Masters/other shops all in 2-5 minutes drive
    - Football/Cricket/Tennis court/BBQ in walking distance
    - A few Thai/Indian/other restaurants/pizza shops
    - Good mobile and internet coverage
    - Price is still affordable

20. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Cranbourne and Carrum are both exploding with H&L sold out in no time.

I like both...but will depend on your strategy, I have helped a couple of clients with townhouse developments in Cranny and have seen quite a few clients make money on the land they just settled in Cranny. Same applies to carrum, the new estates are doing really well....

The choice will be based on what type of strategy you are using which will dictate the property you buy....

Cheers Ivan