Covid and face masks??

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Gockie, 29th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I went to a busy Whites Hill Woolworths on Saturday just before lunch (not my choice, but took someone shopping who didn't have transport). It was super busy, and I saw just one mask.

I've discussed with hubby that if we get any cases near enough to be a concern, we will start wearing masks that I have here ready. For now though, wearing one means being stared at where I shop (when I don't get home deliver groceries).

If even 10% of shoppers wore one, I'd feel comfortable doing so. Right now, with our very low risk, I just try to social distance, sanitise trolley handles and my hands on the way in and out, but will start to wear a mask if Queensland cases start to rise.

Honestly, it is just a matter of time I think. With three days to get back into Queensland, how many cases might have popped back over the border. It is just too easy to lie on a form and get in.

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Any truth in this???

Melbourne - there are issues people accessing masks

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Plenty at Kogan

The Y-man

MTR likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Kogan jacked up their prices as soon as it became mandatory in Victoria. There are much cheaper online.

Or local Facebook buy/sell groups are good for homemade reusable.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Everyone’s trying to make a buck:(

6. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

About 2 weeks before mandatory facemasks in Victoria I didn't have any mask and bought a box of 50 reusables and a large bottle of hand sanitiser gel for $30 from a large shopping centre store. I haven't been back to that particular store but from what i see now, the going rate is approximately $50 for a box of 50 in many stores. Reprehensible profiteering somewhere in the supply chain!

I previously couldn't sew on a button but single-use mask annoyed me so much I learned a new skill and actually now make my own masks - given the number of compliments I've received they are pretty good. My new venture after lockdown is to go to the local craft market and setup a stall :D:D:D

7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Who isn't? :)

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I bought ours from an eBay seller who is in the fashion industry and is now making masks to keep money rolling in. Why not make lemonade when life gives you lemons. They were priced well too.

Lizzie likes this.
  9. geoffw

Why wait? Sell them through your local Facebook group, contactless if you want. There won't be as much demand after the lockdown.

Lizzie likes this.
  10. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

That's optimistic, mask wearing will extend way beyond lockdowns in most places, part of the strategy to avoid further lockdowns.

I've started a collection and even though don't need any more buy a good one if I see it, think we'll have to wear them everywhere for a while at least a year maybe two.
    IMG_20200806_155501625~2.jpg

Melbourne_guy, Gockie and Lizzie like this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I suspect mask wearing will become the norm ... at least for the mid/long term ... just as they do in Asia

12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Although I'd rather not be wearing them long term, I think you are right.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I agree, it's a bit heavy handed, but I think that the cops have had enough of these so called 'sovereign citizens' flouting the rules. That clip does not show what transpired beforehand either.

kierank, The Y-man, wylie and 5 others like this.
  15. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

Kinda over this sort of thinking. Living in Vic and having day after day of up to 700+ COVID cases and many many deaths.

It is a direct result of people like this that want to start a confrontation.

To pick out two parts of your post.
    "Heavy handed" - What do you suppose the Police should do?
    & "Sure wear masks, but this is Australia" So what are you trying to say, that she should wear a mask, but because we are in Australia if she does really want to, it'll be alright mate?

Having 6 weeks of hard lockdown and curfew gives me very little patience for these sorts of cretins

kierank, skater, wylie and 3 others like this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

not trying to say anything, other than what I said....

I do understand your angry and frustration, I have not been able to see my daughter its been a very long time

17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

As skater said, we don't know what lead up to the filmed moment ... my initial reaction is that she should be charged with voluntary manslaughter for putting others art potential risk of death by refusing to wear a mask.

Yes. It is Australia. That doesn't give one the right to break the law because "it doesn't suit"

Last edited by a moderator: 12th Aug, 2020
    kierank likes this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

There is now an investigation. I find this video shocking.
    Apparently she had a medical exemption??

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...f-unmasked-melbourne-woman-ng-b881636205z.amp

Last edited by a moderator: 12th Aug, 2020
  19. geoffw

She had a medical exemption, but instead of stating this, she gave the police the finger.

The force used in response does appear to be excessive.

So faults on both sides.

kierank, wylie and Lizzie like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

agree
    Also shows to me that people are not happy with how the State is being policed. Frustrated with the level of policing

Interesting US media criticising Oz, Melb on level of policing. Its making news o/seas very odd
    Just not what we do in Australia

It will come back to bite Premier in the rear. People wont forget this

Last edited: 12th Aug, 2020

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.