COVID-19 vaccines & treatments 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 3rd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I thought this was a typo, but I was wrong.
    vaticination

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

From a friend who did a medical degree but decided to work in data analysis….

NSW COVID stats (as at Oct 12):

17.7% of the NSW population is unvaccinated
    89.1% of new COVID cases are unvaccinated

I worked out the ratios, and the infection rate is 38.7 times higher for the unvaccinated. (3870% if you prefer)

skater, craigc, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Possibly an additional reason to receive a Covid vaccine i.e. less likely to die from other medical issues if vaccinated.

"During December 2020–July 2021, COVID-19 vaccine recipients had lower rates of non–COVID-19 mortality than did unvaccinated persons after adjusting for age, sex, race and ethnicity, and study site."

COVID-19 Vaccination and Non–COVID-19 Mortality Risk ...

4. NedKelly

NedKelly Well-Known Member

I am a little late to this thread so it may have been posted before but where did those numbers come from?

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

He had it on Facebook. Based on hospitalisations and vaccination percentages for NSW at that time.

6. geoffw

7. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

craigc and Lizzie like this.
  8. geoffw

This treatment (Paxlovid) is looking very promising. Trials (not yet peer reviewed) proved it to be extremely effective against severe symptoms and death for those with Covid - and the trials were carried out on people susceptible to Covid - elderly and those with an underlying illness. The people for whom vaccination appears to be less effective.
    Covid: Pfizer says antiviral pill 89% effective in high-risk cases

wylie and SatayKing like this.
  9. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

That looks good. Still have to overcome those "wellness" wackos though.

Jose Eduardo Slompo likes this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Omg. Debating with one of those this morning ... they love to dig their heels in over false and misconstrued propaganda ... and bring out the unverified, over the top emotional BS.

Just as well I like facts and peer reviewed science to unemotionally push back with

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Hey @Lizzie... what's that saying about arguing with idiots? Save your breath and save your sanity. ;)

Angel, Lizzie and skater like this.
  12. geoffw

Or, as has been mentioned in another thread, "Don't fight with pigs, cos you get dirty, but they love it".

Jose Eduardo Slompo and wylie like this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Ah ... I get ti the point where I've put all the facts on the table, with unbiased scientific links ... then, if they're still carrying on, I walk away

That's why I call it debating, rather than arguing. They're often arguing by yelling into the non-listening ether ... while I calmly lay it out

wylie likes this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

15. geoffw

16. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Trend micro never did let me open that link. Maybe my security software is the scam?

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Lizzie likes this.
  18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

There is something very wrong... people are trusting FB and crackpots over scientists (my comments are not aimed at you @Lacrim). I'm in a FB group for an interest I have, and the echo chamber in there is disturbing. One lady posted a link to show a particular touted product isn't even backed by its maker, and when others ridiculed her for being a sheep, blah, blah, she posted to ask the owner of the site "have any of your friends had polio?" and was piled on with why that vaccine is different to these ones. The site owner said he values all opinions as long as they are respectful of others but he is the biggest bully and egging others on.

I am on the verge of leaving the group. This lady has been removed from the site for asking a question that questioned the flow.

I "liked" her comment and another woman who said she joined this site to learn about "xx" and was bullied by others. It's disgusting.

And what it means is that nobody is likely to disagree with anyone else, just read and keep quiet for fear of being the next one targeted. It's easy to see how just keeping quiet allows weeds to grow.

It's typical bullying behaviour. I'm expecting to be removed from the site next. I'm pretty sick of trying to learn about "xx" and every second post is the owner posting conspiracy theories, the new world order etc. It is poison.

And their spiel includes how politicians, billionaires, scientists and big companies make heaps of money from this, just like they make huge profits from every other drug. That is nothing new, but that doesn't mean there is a huge conspiracy.

19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I know you're in Brissie but If you believe the stats, almost 95% of Sydney's adult population (if not more) is on track to get fully vaxxed. The remaining anti vaxxers must be extremely vocal.

Meanwhile in the real world, I'll be booking in my booster sometime next month.

20. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Not too many anti-vax people down here (Canberra). We are moving towards 99% 12 and over vaxxed having just passed 94.4% double jabbed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.