COVID-19 vaccines & treatments 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 3rd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

From what I've read, in the early days of infection transmission is similar from unvaccinated and vaccinated with covid, but it quickly drops off in the first week for the vaccinated so they spread it much less after a week. But this difference wanes a lot and transmissibility is similar after 3-6 months from vaccination when a person catches covid.

But now they think vaccinated people who get covid sneeze more than unvaccinated, and sneezing is a key mechanism of spread, so makes you think vaccinated could possibly spread it more at some points in the infection timeline.
    New Covid symptom that only appears in people who have been vaccinated
    Sneezing Could Be a Sign of COVID-19 in Vaccinated Individuals

The Y-man likes this.
  2. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Unvaccinated person A with covid was more likely to contract the virus to begin with so in that sense is more likely to become a carrier transmit it even if transmissibility between unvaccinated and vaccinated remains the same.

geoffw likes this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

One of the issues is to appreciate that not everything is known about this or any other virus. When new aspects are discovered any information is updated and revised. It can give the incorrect impression to many the health professionals and researchers are providing conflicting information. Far from it. The information being provided is based on current knowledge.

Can be difficult to get your head around that until it is realised information changes when new data is received and assessed.

inertia, Lizzie and wylie like this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

5. SatayKing

geoffw likes this.
  6. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

So I started thinking
    Since the vaccine doesn't stop/reduce transmission and just makes us not get sick or less sick

Does that mean that the community could have hundreds or even thousands of cases undetected because no one has any symptoms and is vaccinated

In my circle, all my friends, family and workplace is 100% vaccinated

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Correct - you would only text if if it felt really bad. The other thing is "vaccine complacency" where people covid safe practices because "they are vaccinated and safe".

The Y-man

8. Truly Exotic

You are right, i am still in the "covid infected people can kill me" mentality, but now I'm in danger of going in the other extreme of, "I m vaccinated so I'm invincible so I don't need to worry about anything "

The Y-man likes this.
  9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You don't need to have symptoms to be tested.

There is still a massive amount of testing across Australia. A big part of that would be due to the massive number of people who have to be tested weekly for their workplaces. So testing would detect many cases in people without symptoms.

Experience overseas seems to show that even vaccinated people should take precautions, to minimise the chances of breakthrough infections.

Even the incidence of flu has dropped drastically because of hand sanitation, masks, and social distancing.

Truly Exotic likes this.
  10. Truly Exotic

that may be true but everyone I know who is vaccinated, will never get tested again unless they have serious covid symptoms, I am likely one of this group

11. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I think the standards are slipping in society unfortunately - making "real" news read like satire!

wylie likes this.
  12. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

but that is what geoffw is saying - there is adequate surveillance testing happening such that if it were indeed rife in the community, it would be picked up.

geoffw likes this.
  13. SatayKing

14. SatayKing

The uptake of vaccinations in the ACT is romping along.

Fully vaccinated as at 13 October:

12+: 17% (first dose 91%)
    16+: 77%
    50+: 92%
    70+: >95%

geoffw likes this.
  15. SatayKing

I suppose if you are reporting 99.12% and the next day 99.13% etc. Announcement from ACT Health.

"Please note today will be the final day we report Canberrans receiving a first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. From tomorrow we will only be publishing the vaccination rate for double doses for Canberrans aged 12 years and over."

16. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Actually it can reduce transmission. Vaccinated people can either not get infected, or if they do, have less viral load and/or be infectious for less time.

So when you have most of your population vaccinated infection rates will decrease but other measures such as ventilation and masks are probably also needed.

17. SatayKing

Gockie likes this.
  18. SatayKing

Stuff you see and overhear while waiting for pathology.

Youngish bloke came in. In his 50's I'd guess. Seemed a bit uncoordinated and slightly confused. Receptionist blurted out "Oh right, you're a long hauler, Mr XXX. Let's get you seen straight away."

We tend to forget this aspect of Covid.

Lizzie likes this.
  19. SatayKing

20. SatayKing

Teenagers and those younger can have confidence vaticinations will do them good. Given the uptake of vaccinations in those age groups they or their parents already know that.

"Among hospitalized U.S. patients aged 12–18 years, vaccine effectiveness of 2 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine against COVID-19 hospitalization during June–September 2021, was 93% (95% confidence interval = 83%–97%)."

upload_2021-10-20_6-27-56.png

Effectiveness of Pfizer-BioNTech mRNA Vaccination Against ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.