COVID-19 vaccines & treatments 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 3rd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Lizzie likes this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Appears we have our own home-grown conspiracy theory idiots over here:

PM lashes rogue MP Craig Kelly over coronavirus treatment posts

"It was important that we have full transparency about what the potential adverse consequences are," Mr Kelly insisted

Well - perhaps he should read the published and peer reviewed scientific data that is freely available to everyone

3. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

He's too far gone for that. Remember him with the CSIRO data shamefully doubting climate change during the 19/20 bushfires on British TV? Recently on the podcast of non-other than Peter Evans receiving praise for his pseudo-scientific views on vaccines and mask wearing. Is better placed sitting alongside other loons on the Sky News after 5pm slot, not as a representative of modern Australia in government.

Lizzie likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Sadly he had a lot of fanatical, and very vocal, supporters

5. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I haven't been following this. When can the average Australian expect to get the vaccine? I'm talking about people not at the front line, not elderly etc etc. What's the projected date? I'm keen get on this and get it over and done with.

6. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

But new variants have already mutated so you cannot be done and over you may need ongoing shots like flu shots. As many said it may not stop you from passing it too.
    It is not suggested the preliminary vaccine, provisionally approved, will be those two shots and it will end there.
    Here is the link to the website for more information though:
    Australia’s vaccine agreements
    Australia is not first in line for the Pfizer vaccine — and that might be a good thing

7. jaybean

Dammit. Ok, well I guess the game continues on.

PSA: Don't eat bat.

8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

9. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

There's something like 150 million doses of the various vaccines that have been administered worldwide. Basically the largest set of clinical trials in history.

I reckon they're safe.

gman65, mtat and Heinz57 like this.
  10. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Sadly it's unfounded resistance - based on a rumour that became speculation. Personally, after researching, I'd prefer the AZ

ALL vaccines will result in some people getting symptoms ... to various degrees ... it's the bodies immune system cracking into gear to produce the antibodies - and occurs with EVERY vaccine. And the quoted 60% "trials" has since be disproved, with efficacy shown to be around 90% in real life (Israel data)

Pity there is so much misinformation

12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I would prefer Pfizer over AZ but I will queue for any vaccine I can get. I am planning to travel overseas so I asked my Dr to get all my vaccinations up to date. I ended up having to have 6 shots for Hepatis B, because it wasn't working. My Dr was surprised I kept coming back but there is no way I am going to travel if I don't have resistance to Hep B. I'm the opposite of an anti-vax :p

Lizzie likes this.
  13. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Fact: Pfizer vaccine is 90% effective
    Fact: AZ vaccine is 60% effective.
    Any other information out there is anecdotal at this point of time. AZ are re-doing their trials as they stuffed up the dosing regime.

Problem is that the AZ vaccine is easier to administer as it doesn’t require storage at -80C, which is why governments around the world are trying to convince people not to worry about the AZ vaccine. In Australia, this is also preferred as we have the capability to manufacture the AZ vaccine locally.

If the TGA has approved the AZ vaccine, that means they have deemed this to be safe and effective and should be good enough for the public.
    However, the story is already out there that one vaccine is shows better efficacy than the other. So it will be hard to change people’s perception on this.

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm happy with whatever I get ... as for the anti-vax protestors ... okay, no one will force you to take the vaccine, but there will be consequences - whether it be travel or work or immunity

People have to realise, they are free to make their own decisions - but all choices come with consequences

Perthguy and Optimus like this.
  15. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

Is that true, I'm pretty sure some frontline workers are already forced to use vaccines. I'm no anti vaxxer just saying.

16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

They have the choice not to continue working - as happens now for flu vaccines. I know a lady who works in a retirement home - when it's not winter. They require a flu vaccine for anybody who has any contact with residents during winter, and she refuses to have a vaccine, and so can't work.

As @Lizzie says - she has a choice, but with the choice comes consequences.

Lizzie likes this.
  17. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Not all misinformation, most EU countries now restricting use to younger people, max age here for AstraZeneca is 54. I know someone relieved about that, she is 55. Some evidence its not as good against variants, some countries not using it at all, but not enough data maybe things will change. Not really an anti-vax thing, people just want the best one, but that personal choice not available in most countries at this stage of vaccinating as fast as possible. Probably next year it will be a choice.

This combined with their initial unreliability to deliver and newer vaccines coming available shortly probably AZ vaccine won't be used as much as projected in the EU. Maybe the excess will be donated to poorer countries via COVAX. Spain producing locally 4 other vaccines these will probably become more dominant here.

18. Property Baron

Not much of a choice though. Say no and lose your livelihood. But yes a choice.

19. jaybean

I saw an article of some people protesting today about freedom of choice. I didn't care enough to read it. WTF are they complaining about? It's not mandatory in this country, right?

Casteller likes this.
  20. Property Baron

I'm not sure either, thought it was weird.

jaybean likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.