COVID-19 Masks

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by kierank, 8th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Looks like I will be making more use of my N95 masks:
    upload_2022-1-8_6-34-11.jpeg

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Important to note that this was data based on (presumably) Delta and is definitely pre-Omicron.

These numbers are likely lower for Omicron.

jaybean and kierank like this.
  3. kierank

We had already upped the anti and starting wearing our N95s, especially in higher risk locations (eg chemists, doctor surgeries, …) and surgical masks elsewhere.

We assume everyone is positive and, with some not wearing masks or cloth masks, we took personal responsibility for our health (like we have done for the last 2 years) and increased our level of protection.
    I assume you mean higher (longer times).

Redwing, Lizzie and gman65 like this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

No - the "time it takes to transmit an infectious dose of COVID-19" should be lower for Omicron - it is far more infectious than Delta was, hence the extremely rapid growth in case numbers around the world.

Lizzie and kierank like this.
  5. kierank

Ah, now I understand what you are saying.

So, more reason to wear a mask, especially a N95

Simon Hampel and shorty like this.
  6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

My friend got news from a N95 supplier this morning they had run out of some shipping boxes and due to the overwhelming number of orders since 24 December, staff have been working 16 hours per day to try and complete orders as quickly as possible.

So along with fruit, vegetables, meat, building supplies, RATs kits, vaccine distribution ............

Welcome to Dystopia. :D

Redwing and kierank like this.
  7. kierank

We bought/hoarded ours in March 2020 :eek: (instead of toilet paper) and still have ample left (didn’t do as well hoarding my shiraz supplies :().

We currently only use N95s in high-risk settings.

Way back, I showed one to our GP of 30+ years. He was very impressed and told me that they were washable and how to do the washing in a safe way (use Nappy San and hang out in sunlight for a number of hours).

Might have to start doing this :eek:?

8. SatayKing

Well, there is an alterative view on it - as usual. Note it is an opinion and not definitive advice.

N95 Respirator Cleaning and Reuse Methods Proposed by the Inventor of the N95 Mask Material

kierank likes this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Got a stash of surgical masks bought early 2021 - bought for Junior's twice-weekly uni lab tutorials, of which quickly went online and hence no mask required

Avoiding high risk locations like we're in a plague

kierank likes this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In NZ an expert has advised that surgical masks can be washed under running plain warm water and reused up to 10 times, washing each time. According to the article I read, this remains much more effective than a standard home made mask at filtering virus.

(Though not sure what type of masks were used as comparison - my home made masks have an excellent face seal - so much so that the fabric ‘pulls in’ around my mouth when I breath indicarpting that the air is coming through the mask (which has a layer of polypropylene in the middle) rather than unfiltered around the sides

kierank likes this.
  11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I picked up a few K95 masks at Bunnings today. They are limiting them to 50 per customer, which seems very reasonable.

Not much meat at Aldi, but there was lots of firm Tofu which is perfect instead of meat in a curry (did a great Rogan Josh the other day treating the cubed tofu as if it was beef!)

gman65 and SatayKing like this.
  12. SatayKing

As a result of some information posted on this forum about masks, I did a little more digging and had a gut feeling there could be a high demand for them. Just before Christmas, I placed an order through this mob.

FFP2 / P2 Respirator Face Mask | 100% Australian Made | Official Australian Stockist

Fortunately I got enough so I was able to supply my neighbour with some as she was concerned for her two yet to be vaccinated young 'uns. One of them is an asthmatic I believe and Mum is worried for her.

They are also available through this supplier but out of them presently. Fingers crossed the Federal Government don't take the private orders as they have apparently done with RATS kits.

FFP2 / P2 Respirator Face Mask | 100% Australian Made | Official Australian Stockist

Islay and Lizzie like this.
  13. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

How often are you guys replacing your masks? Mine go for weeks. It wouldn't surprise me if some of mine are months old (that are still being actively used). Probably not a good idea but I've never bothered researching what the optimal lifespan is. Also I don't go out much, to be fair.

Observer likes this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Five uses per N95 is recommended. Or are you talking about the surgical masks?

They can be a breeding ground for other nasties.

But there are tips on cleaning and reusing N95 masks.
    KN95 and N95 masks: How often to reuse and store

15. jaybean

I'm talking about the thin fabric ones, so probably surgical.

16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The ones made from fabric are no longer recommended against omicron. The virus can be spread on smaller droplets, and the fabric masks may not be effective. Even with Delta, they were recommending three layers of fabric.

17. SatayKing

Ten pages back so lost in the mists of posts. Note, however, it relates only to the material used in particular N95 masks and not general.

Also had a chat with a person involved in OH&S. If using one for 12 hours straight each day, then dump the mask. If doing a quick dash to the shops to get a bottle of milk and the mask isn't soiled then maybe a week. That is their view however and best not to take it as gospel.

18. jaybean

Oh dear, thanks for letting me know.

19. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

News just in is that they can be used until the elastic breaks!

This is according to Brisbane-based data scientist Jeremy Howard, who in 2020 did the world's largest review of evidence on face masks and the ability to stop aerosol spread of COVID-19. What is the best face mask to wear to stop the spread of COVID-19?

Another recent article - by the man who invented the method of making masks (from memory) is to have 4 and rotate them. The virus or other nasties on the outside die apparently.

Last edited: 13th Jan, 2022
    Hetty and geoffw like this.
  20. jaybean

Allow me to supply some contextually relevant labels:

Praise the central government!