COVID-19 in other countries

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Lizzie, 28th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Peru being one of those countries which show a massive discrepancy between a "normal" year and the current situation (the poorer the country, the less reliable or accurate the stats).

On the flipside, Australia &Taiwan are tracking behind the rest of the world with fewer deaths than the previous averages. NZ is so low it doesn't rate a mention.

kierank likes this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

We didn't really have a flu season this year - lots of people who would normally have died from seasonal influenza, didn't.

kierank likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

So business was down for gravediggers, demand for funerals was lower our own mini-recession un-covid. :D

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

This new main is South Africa is rather a worry ... 70% more infectious and badly affecting a higher proportion of young people with no co-morbidities

Apparently the hospitals in the wealthier areas are under severe strain, so goodness knows how the poet locations are doing

New Covid-19 mutant found in South Africa: What we know so far

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

7. Scott No Mates

Unfortunately the deep pockets & shortened arms are permanent. :oops:

geoffw likes this.
  8. geoffw

Of course. The medical bills to cure that condition would have been huge.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

10. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Shutdown would have led to less road and workplace deaths, also as flu (that was a particularly bad one going by deaths in US late 2019) did not get established during our winter

11. Simon Hampel

We had that flu strain in Australia in 2019 - it was one of our worst flu seasons ever (2017 being the worst).

Road deaths are pretty low in Australia compared to many other countries - NSW had 292 deaths in 2020 up until the 23rd Dec compared to 346 deaths the year before (noting that the downward trend in numbers was already established prior to the start of 2020).

According to Road Deaths Australia—Monthly Bulletins ... Australia overall saw a decline in road deaths in 2020 (about 5% down on previous year), but that wasn't consistent across all states. Victoria saw nearly 20% decline in road deaths (no doubt partly due to their strict lockdowns), while Queensland actually saw a 22% increase in road deaths.

There were 740 deaths on our roads from Apr - Nov 2020.

Note the 25% increase in cyclist deaths - no doubt related to the massive growth in cycling in Australia since lockdowns started early in 2020.

upload_2020-12-28_8-26-23.png

According to Fatality statistics | Safe Work Australia ... YTD 2019 saw 173 workplace deaths in Australia compared to YTD 2020 with 158 ... about an 8% reduction

It would be difficult to extrapolate these numbers to any other country - all countries are different in their demographics, how they move about, workplace safety rules, COVID response, etc.

Someguy likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

At least 5 of those have been food delivery riders who are a very high risk group (not Aust road savvy, under time pressure, lack of lighting, inadequate PPE etc).

13. Simon Hampel

The number of times I've nearly hit a food delivery driver while driving along Hampden Rd in Artarmon is quite alarming. They have zero road sense!

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I saw one crossing diagonally, weaving through moving traffic, across four lanes of busy Ann Street, Fortitude Valley in peak hour. I saw him out of the corner of my eye and wasn't close to hitting him, but had I not noticed him, possibly I could have been involved in an incident. These bicycle delivery people take huge risks, for probably a pittance in wages.

15. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Expendable cheap labour sadly. It’s the cost of our convenient lifestyle.

Having been a driver on the Uber platform I have seen first hand the app giving directions to break road rules be it poor navigation or simply making a pick up point a no stopping zone. Cyclists need no license so fresh immigrants would have little idea that they are doing the wrong thing. The idea of being contractors means all safety responsibilities are on the operator and a death or serious injury only cost the platform a service provider that is cheap and easy to replace.

16. Scott No Mates

A builder is required to review the SWMS/JSA for each of it's subbies, this is high risk work on many levels (riding in traffic, death/injuury is foreseeable and likely) - what makes Goobereats, Foodorabeer etc any different and not liable for WHS of its contractors? This is a WHS issue not a gig economy issue.

17. geoffw

wylie likes this.
  18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Have ‘t read it as I’m on my phone without reading glasses. Does it give a reason for the under reporting?

19. geoffw

They said that they had previously only reported deaths which were confirmed as coronavirus from am autopsy.

It had apparently been suspicious that the death rate was much lower than that of other countries.
    Sure enough. Wuhan may have had ten times the number of people infected than had been reported.

20. Simon Hampel

The first wave of deaths saw what I believe to be an average of around 3 - 3.5% of deaths per case.

Now that we've become more proficient at treating the ill and understand the risks to the elderly, these latest waves seem to be more around the 1.5% deaths per case.

Which is why Australia is stuck so high up the list - most of our deaths were in the first wave and so our 3.21% death rate was average (actually quite a bit below average), but now that we've basically got very few new cases (mostly imported) and very few deaths (only 2 deaths in the past few months and both from elderly people who contracted the disease in May-Jul), our death rate is far higher than it should be.

In hindsight, it would probably be more meaningful to report deaths per case on a rolling 30 day basis rather than an overall figure.

A few European countries who seem to be pretty consistent in their reporting are around the 1.5% level right now. The US is currently at 1.73%

Russia is at 1.79% - I'm sure to be reporting a higher death rate than the US is very galling to the Russian leadership. The problem is that if they really do have more deaths than reported, then they also probably have far more cases than reported too. Either that, or their health outcomes really are far worse than that of the US, which is just as bad. Either way - Russia does not come out of this looking very good.

I would suggest that most countries reporting less than 1% deaths per case are either not accurately reporting deaths - or have a very poor handle on the health status of their population.

There are exceptions to this - specifically Singapore, Qatar, UAE and Bahrain - where I believe it is more demographics that helped keep their numbers low (younger part of the "working" population who got infected and thus had a high survivability rate).

Excluding these 4, there are 26 countries with a death rate of under 1%

Lizzie likes this.