COVID-19 in other countries 2022

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by SatayKing, 2nd Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The US has 62% vaccinated. I wouldn't call that really high. Australia has almost 78%. (This is a share of the total population, not just over 16 which is generally shown in Australia).

Screenshot_2022-01-16-09-36-01-36_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

George Smiley and kierank like this.
  2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

oh my bad. I read it was approaching 80%. I assume these are like-for-like statistics right, people over 16 only and the either 1 shot or 2 shots? Cause I think our number drops down that far once we include the total population, like Singapore does.

Last edited: 16th Jan, 2022
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Only 62% of the US population has had two doses of vaccine.

When we look at the vaccination rates for countries considered "high income" by the world bank - you'll see the US nearly half way up the list.

upload_2022-1-16_17-59-0.png

But the trick is that this chart is sorted by 1st dose vaccinations - where the US is at 75%, while when you consider double-dose vaccination rates, they are only at 62.4% - which is down at Estonia levels right near the bottom of this chart.

Australia is #11 out of 45 countries in this chart.

Lizzie and jaybean like this.
  5. Simon Hampel

Stats from around the world, comparing only "high income" economies with at least 500K population.

COVID-19 Report - Total cases as of 15 Jan 2022

upload_2022-1-16_18-12-6.png
    • Australia roars into the top-20, now up to #16 out of 47 with 1.73 million cases (up from #24 last week)

COVID-19 Report - Average daily new cases as of 15 Jan 2022

upload_2022-1-16_18-12-42.png
    • Australia still at #6 out of 47 with 107.7K cases per day, on average (same as last week)

COVID-19 Report - Population infection rate as of 15 Jan 2022

upload_2022-1-16_18-13-57.png
    • Australia is up to #38 out of 47 with 6.81% of the population infected (up from #41 last week)

COVID-19 Report - Total deaths as of 15 Jan 2022

upload_2022-1-16_18-20-19.png
    • Australia is #33 out of 47 with 2.67K deaths (up from #34 last week)

COVID-19 Report - Average daily deaths as of 15 Jan 2022

upload_2022-1-16_18-23-15.png
    • Australia is #12 out of 47 with 43.9 deaths per day (up from #22 last week)

COVID-19 Report - Deaths per million population as of 15 Jan 2022

upload_2022-1-16_18-24-44.png
    • Australia is #44 out of 47 with 105.4 deaths per million (same as last week)

6. jaybean

My original comment still stands though, that managing smaller countries is simply easier. I cringe every time I see NZ or Singapore or whatever being put on a pedestal...I mean so what? This is a hard problem to solve and not all lessons from these tiny countries are applicable to say, India or the US.

Casteller likes this.
  7. Simon Hampel

Singapore especially would be more accurately compared to Queensland - similar population size. New Zealand is also similar population.

Australia and the US are both federations of multiple states - each of which has limited independence in their ability to choose how they govern their population, within the bounds of the federal rules.

That independence does lead to differences in approach - as we've seen between our states as well as in the US.

India has it's own unique system again - which would not lead to the consistent approach that smaller nations have had.

But at the same time - wealthy and highly techonological nations like the United States should be expected to provide a higher level of care to their population - which they have been unable to do.

A larger population gives you an economy of scale - better access to shared resources, the best people, better technology. Larger, wealth and highly developed countries should theoretically be able to provide better care overall for their population because of their size.

The "managing smaller countries is easier" argument would only be true from a political perspective rather than a resources or technology perspective. Of course, politics been critically important with managing COVID - which is not specifically a function of population size (although that can be a factor).

jaybean and Lizzie like this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

upload_2022-1-17_14-51-41.png

If they're talking about peak around Oz in the next couple of weeks, how dark will the US go and when will it see daylight?

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Our son presently in the USA (business trip).

He said NYC and Baltimore very good - masks, test stations everywhere, everyone aware.

Mississippi and (now) Florida - not a mask in sight and no social distancing, no one seems to care.

The Y-man and wylie like this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Without checking... I'd assume Mississippi and Florida deaths and hospitalisations are higher than NYC and Baltimore.

11. Simon Hampel

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

9 of the top ten "deaths per population" have a particular political bent ... NY is the only populous "other bent" listing in there.

Not very good politically, to kill off your voters

13. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

As at 11 January. Hmm, not sure if it's "mild" or not for anyone who isn't vaccinated. A small percentage can end up as a lot of individuals. But as they say, "Only in America."

upload_2022-1-18_3-25-8.png

upload_2022-1-18_3-25-32.png

Hospital Utilization

Last edited: 18th Jan, 2022
  14. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Australia added to the EU covid "risk" category today for the first time (along with Canada and Argentina), so now arrivals from Australia need a vax certificate to enter the EU.

In Spain exceptions are EU residents/citizens, students, high level sports people and those with imperative family reasons - they can use a negative test or recovery certificate instead.

15. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Quebec is proposing a health levy on it's unvaccinated residents.

Quebec to levy financial penalty on unvaccinated adults

Lizzie likes this.
  16. jaybean

kierank likes this.
  17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

18. jaybean

It's a hell of a chart isn't it. My jaw hit the ground when I saw this, validated everything I had already thought for a while now.

kierank likes this.
  19. jaybean

By the way, as for your actual question, as someone with a few anti-vaxxer friends I can answer this. Every time you send them something like this: fake news. How do they know? "I just know." No further research, no more questions.

The sad thing is, the "facts" they take in from places like Facebook - all at face value. No questions, no skepticism, no scrutiny.

Everything I send? Fake. Obviously I'm an idiot, by virtue of having fallen for the government's lies, I obviously have no ability to be objective.

So to answer your question "but they don't seem to be able to see this?"...yes that's right, they can't. They won't.

GRANTED, that link I posted...could be lies too from the far left. Who knows? But in broad strokes I think it's probably right.

wylie and Lizzie like this.
  20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

We have now officially been blacklisted.

EU council removes Australia from 'safe' travel list
    Australia, Argentina and Canada have all been removed from the Council of the European Union list of countries deemed 'safe' to travel to.

The list European Council recommends for safe travel, regardless of vaccination status, still includes New Zealand, Indonesia, China and Colombia.

If countries in the European Union heed the Council's advice, it could mean travel restrictions on those travelling to and from Australia.
    Live: Several states announce immediate reduction in interval to get COVID booster shot

The Y-man