COVID-19 in other countries 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Scott No Mates, 1st Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Some relatives overseas have now had some experience with Covid lockdown. Mum & Dad are barely together, relations between Mum, who has a good job and works long hours, and teenage daughter, have been strained for some time. Dad has his own problems.

Since lockdown, with Mum working from home, she's had a lot of time with daughter, and the relationship has improved tremendously. Daughter feels loved by Mum for the first time in a long time.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

upload_2021-7-24_19-2-8.png

The Y-man

SatayKing likes this.
  3. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Yeah which country is it getting better? Global covid cases are on the rise now, deaths piling up in much of the developing world. The developed world have had some access to vaccines but are now flaring up with covid again as their summer is coming to an end. Most of which had lockdowns/restrictions during winter and are now at the low point of the wave but getting another wave again.

And you are right things here will get worse before they get better, with overconfident gladys, and Scomo who needed Rudd to negotiate with pfizer.

And i just saw the news about the Sydney/melbourne protests. Wow sydney hospitals are going to be flooded next month with the covid sick, glad i made the decision to movet out of the cesspool that is Sydney seven years ago, did a few years work in the Bankstown/Liverpool hospital service, cant imagine the havoc when angry relatives shout and demand oxygen next month..

Dont mind wearing mask and short snap lockdowns in Brissy, until we get the vacccine rate up and booster shots in.

Last edited: 24th Jul, 2021
    kierank, Bunbury and SatayKing like this.
  4. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

most of Europe , you refer to cases , that’s my point , they are done with measuring cases , hospitalisations now all that counts to the people there, it’s part of life there now .

you are watching the media , I have been there 3 times during covid , I’m from there . Don’t rely on the excuse of a media in this country constantly driving fear , on the ground it’s not like how they report .

we are still tied to cases , and soon as we open vaccinated or not the cases will come

this isn’t about who has done a better job, I’m not disputing that , I’m just highlight the point After all they have been thru it’s now moving in a positive direction for them , it can only get worse here , no one will accept it getting worse which ties us to a very very long term closure

Casteller and MTR like this.
  5. Kangabanga

which european country are you from. ?

my relative in UK has been telling me her hospital in london is now being flooded with the covid. I expect the same in much of europe very soon once autumn/winter kicks in. And thats as on the ground as you can get. And how are they done with measuring cases? Still see case statistics coming out of european countries.

I know many european countries had lockdowns in winter that drove the infection rates right down and have been progressively vaccinating and reopening this summer. Some even had big flare ups just few months ago. I remember Germany had a huge lockdown in april till June which drove down the new cases to hundreds. France had a spike in april as well with a lockdown that followed.

Currently other than UK you can see Spain's covid new cases skyrocket in past weeks as well. Let's see if they lockdown or not next month.

media can say what they like i look at case statistics and hospital admission numbers which is what the governments do as well.

Last edited: 24th Jul, 2021
    kierank likes this.
  6. Kangabanga

Most of northern hemisphere where stock markets are will be going into winter soon with covid cases/deaths increasing again, dont think those will be any safer. I am loading up on physical gold and silver, as well as some good dividend paying miners.

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Hospitalisations definitely going the wrong way in a few countries right now:

upload_2021-7-24_22-33-15.png

... the UK at their worst point since the middle of March this year. The US at the worst since May.

kierank likes this.
  8. tedjamvor

tedjamvor Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that those being hospitalised are for the most part the unvaccinated. That's the problem with letting it rip before the community is fully "there". It will be interesting to see which measure our governments use to move from vaccination phase to covid-normal phase.

SatayKing likes this.
  9. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

That is the reported experience in America.

Out of curiosity I downloaded two maps. The first is the Electoral Map, the second is Covid Infections. I don't know the date of the infection may but does anybody notice something?

USA Electroral map.png

USA Covid Infection map.jpg

10. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

Just read this comment in a newspaper (news.com.AU) :

Of the people in hospital, about 97 per cent are unvaccinated. Among those who are dying, 99.5 per cent are unvaccinated.

SatayKing likes this.
  11. noomi_nooma

That was referring to USA

tedjamvor likes this.
  12. SatayKing

Takes a while to wade through it plus there is lag (time to report, verifications, IDC coding, etc). Missing data on whether vaccinated or unvaccinated. I guess at some point in the future (assuming there is one) much analysis will be undertaken on that aspect.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-by-Sex-and-Age/9bhg-hcku

Edit: Bother the keyboard - I have to blame something other than myself - but for IDC read ICD.

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2021
    noomi_nooma likes this.
  13. SatayKing

14. SatayKing

Remiss of me but I should have added that similar reports of a larger proportion of the young are dying due to Covid are now coming out of Brazil and, as usual unfortunately, some poorer countries.

To my mind it would be unreasonable to assume the same will not occur here or elsewhere due to a low vaccination rate. To think otherwise simply doesn't make sense to me. Others will have a different opinion of course.

I suspect that is one of the reasons the ATAGI issued it's advice yesterday in regard to Sydney to take the risk, but an extremely low one, of an adverse event with either vaccine no matter your age. That advice can likely be read as applying nationwide if circumstances on the rate of infections changes.

Firefly99, wylie and geoffw like this.
  15. SatayKing

Scott No Mates likes this.
  16. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Most of Spain will not lockdown again, certainly not in summer. 5000 cases a day in Barcelona (reality much more) but everything is open except large events and nightclubs, and there is total freedom of movement. They have brought back the night curfew though but only 1-6am this time (was 10pm-6am before).

With high vaccinations rates (no antivax movement according to the PM), and added immunity via infection in young people, Covid could be really subdued here by September without too much extra closures. This 5th wave spike is already on the way down. It kind of coincided with ending the 7 month night curfew and allowing tourists freely back into the country. The Dutch and Germans renting my holiday property ignored their governments advice and have come, as have a lot of EU tourists with their Covid certificates. Not so many British now though with new restrictions on them

Stoffo likes this.
  17. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

Soon COVID-19 will be known as the 'pandemic of the unvaccinated'.

18. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I certainly have heard it referred to as the "City" disease, whereby high density populations are at its mercy. Even here in Australia, regional dwellers have only been infected from movement out of the cities by infected city folk.

Casteller likes this.
  19. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

Worldwide they say the vaccinated r not getting dangerously ill

yes delta is killing even very young children babies

many countries lost control Eg USA aBd live as if covid doesn’t exist without even masks often

I just tried to talk a USA relative out from holiday if in Florida where daily cases r so high abd hospitals overloaded
    To holiday where there’s low population abd covid or go fir day trips wear masks get vaccinated .

we be had to delay weddings in the family many times now and my daughters fiancé’s family r dying in South Africa from delta abd not living to see them wed which is hitting them hard and making them push us all to b vaccinated .

we r very lucky here though time will tell how long it takes nsw to get numbers down
    I think SA locked down at first case so their lockdown will end after just I think 1 or 2 weeks .
    It’s the cafes abd people without income suffering most I think

there r people dying from all vaccines but few compared to millions protected
    In some countries they r delaying second Pfizer gor 14-16 weeks to minimise stronger reaction with second dose
    But also giving a third booster shot to vulnerable

Lizzie likes this.
  20. noomi_nooma

Florida has very low vaccination rates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.