COVID-19 in other countries 2021

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Scott No Mates, 1st Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

2. tedjamvor

tedjamvor Well-Known Member

Interesting Chart, thanks for uploading that.

Does NZ get the same flack domestically that our federal government is copping? Their vacc rate is worse than ours.

I still think it's a little contrived and storm in a teacup. We have the supply to give anyone who wants to get jabbed the AZ vaccine, we should be doing better to encourage it. Although it would be nice to give everyone Pfzier right now, there is a vaccine available that people are choosing to not take. Most people will probably end up with Pfzier or Moderna as the 3rd "booster" shot next year anyway.

3. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

I have a relative in London hospital reporting that this week they have had record cases come in, they been forced to shutdown all eletive surgeries and refit most operating rooms into wards. Hospitals will be overwhelmed by next week and death rates will spiral up in August for sure, lets see if Boris still persists with reopening then.

IMO Zero Covid is impossible with open borders, but restrictions need to be in place whilst a solution/proper vaccine is found, and yes that could take years. Even some fully vaccinated are dying of covid and rate is going up with each new variant. Theres one killing quite a few kids now in brazil called gamma strain, matter of time before we get it with open airports and borders..

If he wants to open up borders, Scomo seriously needs to get whatever vaccines out there into australia. Some countries just import whatever is available and people can choose from a list of which one they want. With the lousy Pfizer and Moderna and Astrazeneca, we need a vaccine rate of 90% at least for covid to be manageable.

kierank and GirlPower like this.
  4. SatayKing

Above quotes for the Covid in Australia thread.

I have noticed the number of patients in the UK being ventilated appear to be increasing which is not a good sign. Early stages of course.

And similarly to @geoffw's post concerning the US, France is also experiencing a rapid increase in infections (and presumably hospitalisations) for those who are unvaccinated.

Unvaccinated people account for 96% of new Covid-19 cases, says French PM

If the cases and hospitalisations involve younger unvaccinated people and that also applies to to cases in NSW (I acknowledge it is a tenuous connection at best) ............. doesn't auger well if it holds true.

Big ouch time ahead possibly.

Simon Hampel and geoffw like this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Starts with a blurb about Australia - nothing we don't know - but then talks about the immunity efficacy in Israel, a country with very high vaccination rates.

Appears the Pfizer is 91% against getting serious illness - but only 39% average protection against actually catching the Delta variant (falling to 16% after 6 months). With Pfizer held up as the gold standard, this is worrying given Delta's transmissibility and in a community with pretty ordinary vaccination rates - areas of the US, Australia and just about every 2nd and 3rd world country

The low levels of efficacy also gives more opportunity for the virus to again mutate into vaccine resistance. Suspect a long way to go

TAJ, George Smiley and Firefly99 like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Some official data
    Covid was only the 26th leading cause of death in England in June | Daily Mail Online

7. Kangabanga

Of course its not killing that many in June. Its summer and Covid just flaring up again after the winter lockdowns and restrictions earlier at the start of the year, plus increasing vaccination rates help lower hospital admissions at the same time. (yeah took them half year to lift all restrictions)

Look at official data from 2020, covid was the leading cause of death and people were dying left right center at hospitals forcing a lockdown mandate from Boris. Next month will show another spike in deaths from Covid in UK again, not at first, but when hospitals are overwhelmed and those that could have been treated die coz of lack of treatment. And when hospitals are full, more folks die of the other causes as well due to delays in critical treatment such as for heart attacks/accidents/cancer/etc...

Lets come back here and post death statistics again if UK doesnt shutdown/lockdown in the next few weeks...

Official Data published in december 2020:
    Monthly mortality analysis, England and Wales - Office for National Statistics
    [In December 2020, there were 52,676 deaths registered in England, 10,594 deaths (25.2%) more than the five-year average (2015 to 2019) for December; in Wales, there were 3,941 deaths registered, 1,075 deaths (37.5%) more than the five-year average for December.

The coronavirus (COVID-19) was the leading cause of death in December 2020 for the second consecutive month in both England (accounting for 20.8% of all deaths registered in December) and in Wales (27.4% of all deaths); dementia and Alzheimer's disease was the second leading cause of death in both countries, with COVID-19 accounting for more than double the second leading cause in England and more than triple in Wales.]

Last edited: 24th Jul, 2021
  8. Kangabanga

fan of dr campbell as well.

With the rates going to as low as 16% after 6 months, thats not a very good statistic. It shows the expected "herd immunity" effect from vaccines may not succeed. And now we have Delta Plus and other vaccine resistant strains evolving. Possibly why Pfizer and other big pharma are pushing for booster shots to be approved now.

Scomo needs to get on the order sheet for the boosters for Delta and Gamma strains pronto! We sure need those for our coming winter!

Last edited: 24th Jul, 2021
    kierank and Stoffo like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The media has done a great jab oops job at backing something that's also got different side-effects.

kierank, tedjamvor and SatayKing like this.
  10. SatayKing

You have a point there.

Although this revised ATAGI advice is dated 17 June, it is still consistent with previous advice.

ATAGI statement on revised recommendations on the use of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca, 17 June 2021

While it isn't lengthy, given the wish of many for the quick Yea or Nay, they may not read it in full so here is one paragraph from it.

"ATAGI acknowledges the difficulty in balancing the small risk of a clinically significant adverse event related to vaccination with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca against the need to protect individuals and the community against the ongoing threat of COVID-19, together with ongoing limitations and uncertainties about the supply of alternative COVID-19 vaccines. ATAGI emphasises that this advice is specific to the context that there is currently no or limited community transmission in most of Australia and would be different in other countries."

The quick underlying summary is get a jab of whatever vaccine is available because if you get that b***** Covid, you really don't want to have a tube shoved down your gullet.

tedjamvor, geoffw and Scott No Mates like this.
  11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

... and there's more community transmission now than there was in June - and it's not subsiding

12. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

Generally things are much better and getting better in almost every other country , living with covid is part of life , the vaccine is reasonably effective, and from where they have been it’s now much more positive

But things can only get worse in australia , vaccine or no vaccine cases will rise hugely from the current starting point when it opens
    Covid is here for good

yes australia will ultimately probably have a better result , but from a political point of view they are back into a corner , it’s going to get a lot worse here , not better , and who wants to be the government in charge then

so it’s likely indefinite closure to the rest of the world , and that will have huge impacts as well

13. Scott No Mates

Time to start pouring your $$$ into international stocks if the Oz bubble is gonna burst.

14. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

it might not , who knows I Certainly don’t

All I’m saying is from this point , it can only get worse here , vaccine or not

Where as the difference with almost every other country is given what other countries been thru its much better and getting better all the time .

I know the end result australia will be better but that gets forgotten when the situation (cases is rising )

the only way it can stay as it has been is indefinite isolation as far as I can see ,

Firefly99 likes this.
  15. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

A bit of premature statement....
    Other countries are trying all sorts of things, waiting to see what will the effects.

I'd give the UK a month before I'll buy into "freedom day".
    You know how it is - today it's "freedom day", next month is "Boris kills us all day"

16. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

it’s not at all premature

go back 12 months ago , hard lockdowns
    Across Europe they now live with it

the situation isn’t great but it’s much much better and improving , None of them will go back to that hard lockdown and the case focus is almost gone ,

I’m not saying here isn’t much better or has done a lot better

All I’m saying but from this starting point things can only get worse here

let’s say 80% get the vaccine ,and we do open , cases numbers will be so much higher than we’ve ever had , a populated obsessed by cases is going to find that a problem

the government who overseas that even more so

17. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where you bring the knowledge from, but I have relatives in Europe.
    I wouldn't say it's much better nor they feel it's improving.
    As I said - every country tries other things, from the UK who went complete nude to France who have the Green line and trying to see what works.

Case numbers are going up, vaccine seems to help reducing the really bad cases, but everything is still in trail mode.
    It can change within a month.

Hence the premature.

18. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

I’ve been. There 3 times since covid

things can only get worse here , (all relative of course )
    There it’s got better , and getting better

19. Scott No Mates

But only improving for the vaccinated, the unwashed are still being hospitalised, intubated or dying.

20. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

yes true , but the vaccinated can still get covid

what do you think the appetite for that is here at the moment ? I think none and I don’t see it changing to be honest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.