COVID-19 in Australia 2022

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by geoffw, 1st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

{Note from mods: this thread continued from thread Covid-19 in Australia 2021}

SIL works in an aged care institution in Sydney. She was told that she was a close contact with two nurses she had been working alongside, so she shouldn't come into work. But then the definition of a close contact changed and she is allowed back to work again. The place is in lockdown - residents aren't allowed out of their rooms.

With so many people getting sick, they government has had to relax the rules to enable a semblance of care to be kept. But conversely, it's probably going to make more people sick.

Edit: so it seems
    Decision to exempt NSW health workers from Covid isolation reflects hospitals’ ‘desperate situation’

Last edited: 2nd Jan, 2022
    luckyone likes this.
  2. geoffw

3. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hopefully/possibly the people currently catching Covid in Australia are mainly fit and otherwise healthy 20-35 ish year olds who will not die and will be most likely to fully recover. Not wishing it on anybody, but if it had to be anyone, well....

I know 4 in the Sydney volleyball community.

Casteller likes this.
  5. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Yeah could be, I added "age of infections" just before I saw your post.

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Otherwise, it's still very early days in this wave. New cases reported over 20k in each of the last 2 days in NSW alone and I guess it will climb. My result from the 24th Dec (required for travel to Tas) only came back after 6pm yesterday (negative :)), but loads of positive cases in Sydney haven't been able to be tested due to massive queues.

Casteller likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Europe is several weeks ahead of Australia ... historically hospitalisations occur 2-4 weeks after an outbreak, and deaths 2-4 weeks after that ... end of January will be telling

Casteller and The Y-man like this.
  8. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

I would imagine that we are having a higher percentage rate (comparatively) to the rest of the world due to the fact that previous infection rate percentages were so low. There would be a lack of immunity (compared to other countries) as they have had it before, have got the "herd immunity" and are not getting it this time around.

geoffw likes this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

The virus doesn’t listen to the government’s rules. It does what it does to survive and flourish.

Make it easier for the virus to survive and it will take full advantage of the situation. So just look out for the next mutation. It may be a mutant rettaard or it may be a killer. Roll the dice.

Stoffo and Lizzie like this.
  10. geoffw

That would be a part of it.

Another part would be that politicians were very anxious to open things up, and so restrictions were lifted just as omicron was starting to hit hard. It appears that this was done on at least some occasions against the advice of health officials and experts.

I don't think it would have been this bad in NSW had Gladys still been premier - I don't think she would have been as anxious to lift some of the restrictions.

11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Just over 18k this morning, BUT yesterday was New Years day. Many would have been recovering from the night before, not looking for somewhere to get tested.....that is, even if they could find somewhere to be tested.

Stoffo likes this.
  12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yup - test numbers were right down in both NSW and Vic....

The Y-man

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe the Government is trying for the naturally aquired immunity ,where they let 2-thirds and 3 -quarters of the population catch the virus to attain herd immunity and deal with the collateral damage later..
    Myself i think this will burn itself out ..
    [​IMG]

Stoffo and datto like this.
  14. geoffw

Yes, only 90,000 swabs taken. Down from 119,000 two days ago and 148,000 the day before that.

That's 20% positive, from about 15% the previous two days.

This may well be because there are no more travel tests; and that they re asking non symptomatic people not to get tested; also there will be people with positive RAT tests.

skater likes this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

This will be interesting.

Screenshot_20220102-133302_Gmail.jpg

16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Hospitalisations up 85% week-on-week Australia-wide, deaths climbing again too.

There are now more people in hospital in Australia than at any time during the pandemic - currently 1,950. Fortunately we're still well below our ICU peak.

upload_2022-1-2_14-0-21.png

upload_2022-1-2_14-1-29.png

upload_2022-1-2_14-3-30.png

upload_2022-1-2_14-3-50.png

Vaccine rollout projections in Qld, WA, SA and NT continues to blow out, estimated a week later everywhere except SA, which is 5 days later than predicted last week.

upload_2022-1-2_14-6-37.png

Changes from 1 week ago (days added or subtracted from target date):
    • n/a AUS
    • n/a NSW
    • n/a VIC
    • +7 QLD
    • +7 WA
    • +5 SA
    • n/a TAS
    • n/a ACT
    • +7 NT

upload_2022-1-2_14-8-11.png

NT now projected to reach 90% double dose by 7th March.

Lizzie and SatayKing like this.
  17. Simon Hampel

Strong growth in new cases continues in NSW - we didn't quite hit the 25K mark by the end of December, but projections still have us approaching 100,000K daily cases well before the middle of January!

upload_2022-1-2_14-9-33.png

... however, another simplistic model predicts that we'll top out at around 60K cases per day in mid-January before the outbreak starts to burn itself out.

upload_2022-1-2_14-11-29.png

It's far too early to tell yet whether this will be the case - although there are some initial signs from other countries that this may happen. It should be noted that they will have had far higher levels of infection than we've previously seen in Australia - which might make a difference to how we experience this outbreak.

Case numbers are going up so quickly in NSW that the charts are becoming meaningless.

Hospitalisations are rising sharply (doubling week-on-week) and deaths are showing a definite uptrend now too.

upload_2022-1-2_14-22-49.png

upload_2022-1-2_14-23-26.png

upload_2022-1-2_14-23-48.png

18. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I assume those numbers for ICU do not include those who have recovered from Covid but still require care in an ICU.

19. Simon Hampel

Victoria are now seeing a similar growth trajectory as NSW - although slightly delayed, with current projections seeing 100K daily cases by mid-January.

upload_2022-1-2_14-26-51.png

upload_2022-1-2_14-26-27.png

upload_2022-1-2_14-27-20.png

20. Simon Hampel

If they have recovered from COVID they probably don't need to be in ICU?

Either way, I don't know how the states are reporting it - I'm just extracting data from COVID Live which takes it from the various state health departments.