COVID-19 impacts on the Australian economy & housing market

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Redom, 17th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jello_B

Jello_B Well-Known Member

Because with that logic I’d have to create my industry data for anything I’m interested in. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect an industry to act to some ethical standard.

2. Primary341

Primary341 Well-Known Member

3. DueDiligence

DueDiligence Well-Known Member

Half our GDP was Government spend, without it, figure was -0.6.

Next quarter is estimated at -8 %. The US estimate is -20 to -40 %.

4. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Jana likes this.
  5. roots73

roots73 Well-Known Member

Deferral customers prematurely resuming repayments: ANZ

“In rough numbers, about a third of our customers who took a deferral are making some payments – not full payments – although nearly 5 per cent are now back to making full payments.”

I wonder if that trend will continue & would love to know other lenders' figures...

6. DueDiligence

So those who didn’t need to defer finally decided to pay their mortgage again.

albanga likes this.
  7. Biggbird

Biggbird Well-Known Member

I guess that's the cynical take, with the optimists probably preferring to believe that people are getting back to work and making money again. Who knows.

8. DueDiligence

I can’t remeber the source but I saw something saying the majority of people who applied didn’t need it.

Biggbird likes this.
  9. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I am unsure how they could prove this data so quickly BUT I do believe a significant portion of people who deferred payments probably didn’t need to. Whether that was due to no change in employment, only a slight change or having more than adequate savings buffers.

VICPER likes this.
  10. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

I quoted AON / Illion report in another thread but that was about 10k super withdrawals were being wasted rather than needed when someone mentioned they thought the program had been cancelled.
    That was super 10k rather than bank loan deferrals but were you thinking of that one?

11. jakc

jakc Well-Known Member

Sold listing activity in the 600-900k for houses in Melbourne are beginning to slowly pick up again. This is only for the suburbs shown in the box plot

12. Primary341

Primary341 Well-Known Member

13. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

14. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Property Baron likes this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Did you miss all the times it has been mentioned that the CBA report was "worse case scenario".

craigc likes this.
  16. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Key words..
    Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 10.27.18 am.png

17. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Yes, in my reply I used the language "could" in reference to Mr Comyn's comment as a worst case scenario. To me, this is still alarming that the worst-case view by someone with the data and insight that he has; is 32% and not a 10-15% number. He has made the comment based on the current evidence he has.

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Sorry but I had to jump up out of bed this morning to ask: "Do we want to be part of the problem or part of the solution?" I dont want to pick on any one poster, this rant of mine is to demonstrate a universal point. It's about the general psychology of language, and I assume that most people who use this style of communication are unaware they do it.

Post #814 here demonstrates the wording or phrasing that does cause alarm. We have seen many times since the GFC that the language features used by the media can make or break an emotive situation. Yes, the economic fundamentals are one part of the equation, but so too is public perception. I know not to believe the government 100%, whose role is to paint as rosy a picture as they possibly can, and not to believe the media 100% either. The media's role is to scare the bejeebers out of the public in order to manipulate their own financial and control outcomes. Every few months on PC here, we fervently debate an economic article, only to discover that once the dust has settled, the real situation has not turned out to be as dire as was forecast.

When I read the ABC article on Thursday (post # 813), I shrugged it off as "last week's news". I was actually surprised the ABC took so long to post it - either that or I haven't read any news sites in a week.

We have known since page 1 that the economy is going down bigtime. What is the point of endless commentary as to how much any average or median figure will be? We know that those predictions and economic data is irrelevant to most of the country and most of the population. It is only relevant to the exact location that happens to experience that particular outcome. We need to chill before we end up in ICU.

I should copy this to the Mindset threads!

sqe, Islay, wylie and 3 others like this.
  19. Biggbird

Biggbird Well-Known Member

The Moral of the Morbid

20. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

This doesn’t surprise me, when ever I spoke to my lenders they tried to shove a mortgage deferral down my throat after saying I was not impacted what so ever...

DueDiligence likes this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice