COVID-19 impacts on Australian airlines

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by HUGH72, 14th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. timetoact

timetoact Well-Known Member

It is just business, and Virgin hasn't been performing well, they may see that as a bad investment.

As for Australian owned, I never really understand that.
    Most big companies aren't actually "Australian".
    As long as they employ Aussies, pay their taxes and abide by our rules, I don't really care who "owns it".

As a side note, my comment above doesn't apply to agricultural land ownership.
    That is a strategic asset and should be long term leases only.

2. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Government was right to not bail out Virgin, was surprised when it was disclosed as to how close to the wind they were sailing. Am sure they will find a buyer but think they will come back as a meaner and leaner entity which means job losses.

3. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Biggbird, Anchor and Islay like this.
  4. FredBear

FredBear Well-Known Member

It hasn't been mentioned in this thread but Qantas are still flying internationally on some key routes.
    Here are the recent flights for B787-9 rego number VH-ZNI:

24 Apr 2020 Melbourne (MEL) Buenos Aires (EZE) QF7027 — 11:10 AM 11:56 AM 12:00 PM

23 Apr 2020 Perth (PER) Melbourne (MEL) QF10 3:01 1:25 PM 1:39 PM 6:55 PM

22 Apr 2020 London (LHR) Perth (PER) QF10 16:03 12:10 PM 12:33 PM 11:55 AM

19 Apr 2020 Perth (PER) London (LHR) QF9 17:47 6:50 PM 7:09 PM 5:05 AM

19 Apr 2020 Melbourne (MEL) Perth (PER) QF9 3:57 3:15 PM 3:33 PM 5:15 PM

18 Apr 2020 Hong Kong (HKG) Melbourne (MEL) QF30 8:46 7:30 PM 7:44 PM 6:55 AM

18 Apr 2020 Brisbane (BNE) Hong Kong (HKG) QF97 8:24 10:45 AM 10:54 AM 5:55 PM

Another B787-9 will leave PER to LHR on Sunday 26th April, returning to PER on Wednesday.

Interesting where the A380s are now: 2 in SYD, 2 in MEL, 2 in LAX, and two in Dresden being refurbished. Don't know where the other 4 are at the moment.

Last edited: 24th Apr, 2020
  5. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

I dont like this, but if there was a Sympathise button I would click it.

kierank likes this.
  6. random

random Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. But then we see there it is again NZ can own an airline and rescue one of ours too, even if it didn't work out, it's just showing somethings very wrong here. And once again they're happy to just let yet another Australian thing and a biggie, go. l just found out it was 65yrs old at the time.
    Years later , we're down 50% of our other and 1/2 owned by someone else again and that's even maintained in another country . Plus what we call our own in Virgin is nothing to do with us , set up by someone that doesn't even live here and with zero Australian ownership like so much of our other stuff.
    Somethings wrong with them here.

Last edited: 25th Apr, 2020
  7. kingstreet75

kingstreet75 Well-Known Member

I'll try and help here. A car has a turning circle. It can only turn so far and that's how it is.
    In a former life I was a resource developer and teacher for AMES
    Many of my clients could not use an ATM properly, or a smart phone.
    In the same room we had some old Italian and Spanish guys who raised families and bought houses on being a forklift driver at Ford, and still, after 25 years in Australia cannot speak English much. Those days are gone.

Think about how rapidly technology has changed. Some people cannot adapt without significant support. With 5G it is about to take off to another level.
    With Airlines and many sectors 5G is going to make a huge difference owing to faster latency and logistics methods and can generally expect the number of jobs in that industry not to grow much.
    I bought some QAN but don't expect more than a 10% rise in the next 2-3 years. Still, better than having it in the bank.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

9. random

random Well-Known Member

Haaa that one cracked me up because when l started reading it the first thing l thought was ha, he probably hasn't even paid any tax.

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Qantas not flying international Till march 2021

11. random

random Well-Known Member

Wow , that's quite a spell. l'd say they've been forced to either needing to do almost their usual international , which they couldn;t even do close to in these times, or else lock it up properly for a set amount of time. Because just the dribs and drabs stuff they could do for the foreseeable would probably cost them more in losses than just locking it down.

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

"We are in this mess for five to seven years," is the bleak assessment of Volodymyr Bilotkach of the Singapore Institute of Technology and author of The Economics of Airlines."

When will air travel take off again?

13. random

random Well-Known Member

Really hope it's not that hard and bad for them but man , this stuff is really , really gonna hurt them.
    Anyone see the 100s of planes parked out in Alice Springs. Just amazing to see ,sad too, and the money just sitting there , not to mention the losses.

14. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

Qantas deserve no ones support post the pandemic, parking the entire fleet and leaving aussies stranded all over the world,. could have maintained a flight out of a European and Middle Eastern hub

We relied on Qatar keeping Australia connected to the outside world, and still the government is screwing them over on landing slots

couldn't make it up, jokeshop

15. random

random Well-Known Member

Haa, that'd be right , so Australian.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.