COVID 19 and New Tenants

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ron, 29th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Hiya,

I am just in the process of completing my renovations and renting my house out in Western Sydney. 2 Flats, a studio and a 4 bedder. Perfect timing (not).

With all this Corona crap, are people getting tenants now and what are the precautions you are taking - ie job losses, tenant can't pay rent or taking advantage of the crisis asking for reductions, landlords cant evict tenant cos of crisis/new laws etc;

I am thinking the ideal tenants would be long term govt workers, those working in healthcare, coles, woolies etc; those less likely to lose their jobs or retirees/ pensioners..

What are the criteria yous are looking for in interviewing potential new tenants? Any tips of who/ what to do etc. Not that I expect I got much choice, market dependant.

I hope we can all overcome this crisis and make it to the other side with heads high.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are the 4 dwellings BCA compliant? ie interconnected smoke alarms, fire separation (walls and ceiling), fire resistant doors?

Council approved for multiple non-related occupants?

Newstart or pensioners are on the govt payroll too, guaranteed for life.

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Of course all council approved, and its only 2 dwellings not 4, anyways thats not the purpose of the thread, the corona drama and tenants is. Its a worrisome time indeed

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Fire safety & legality are the main concerns.

5. abc_123

abc_123 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be renting out a vacant property at the moment until all the new legislation and all it's impacts are clear and then make the decision.

The tasmania legislation so far bans evictions for any reason, not just failure to pay rent, so you could end up with a tenant causing damage you can't get rid of.

Landlord insurers are likely to change their policies, or pause issuing new policies suddenly, and/or may feel that they have a legal out for covering rent default and other claims due to this new legislation. We don't know what any of their positions are yet.

We don't know the ato view on claiming rental property expenses where the property is earning zero rental income due to tenant refusal to pay rent and landlord inability to take action to evict and bring in paying tenant. They could disallow any deductions.

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Link? I haven't heard of any state eviction bans yet.

7. abc_123

abc_123 Well-Known Member

8. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Tom Rivera likes this.