Council requested to remove illegal pipework

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by HouseData, 5th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. HouseData

HouseData Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Just want to ask if anyone has knowledge about drainage pipes.

Council has requested me to remove the illegal pipes (attached) that were installed by the previous owner. The pipes run along the side fence and the pool's edge towards the backyard. Half of the backyard is paved, the other half is soil. Apparently, the rear house owner has complained that the water has been directed to their property and reported to council.

I am still waiting for a quote for the work, the handy man said it's a big job, as he will need the right tool such as diamond blade to cut the pipes out and to ensure the cutting does not damage the fence and the pool.

The land is slightly slope down towards the rear.

So my questions are: - Can I apply to have the pipes installed now, so I won't need to remove them if they're approved? I have asked the council lady and she said's it's unlikely that it will be approved.

- What will happen to the stormwater after the pipes are removed? whether there was a problem with the stormwater flow originally that's why the previous owner had put the pipes in to direct water away.

- What are the rules to install pipes like that for stormwater?

Thanks in advance for the advice and information.

Attached Files:

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Dob your complaining neighbour to council re their constant barking dog.

Hanison and bob shovel like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I see lots of cars coming and going from the premises at all hours of the day and night. Maybe it's that red light over the front door?

bob shovel likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How about installing a sink well/absorbtion trench (crushed rock drain across your yard)? See if council will accept that.

5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Dig a series of tunnels under that complaining neighbour's house that will one day turn into a giant sink hole. Moon him when that fateful day arrives.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You will have to make provision to deal with your stormwater on your own property.

Most (if not all) councils will not allow you to solve your water problems by directing the water on to your neighbour.

A plumber/drainer should know of possible solutions allowed by your council.
    Marg

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

What is the" natural lay on the land"? Is it going to the same neighbour? Or has it been diverted?

Get a plumber to have a look

Or spray paint it green and tell council it's been rectified and turfed over :p

8. HouseData

The natural lay on the land is going to the rear neighbour anyway.
    Perhaps, I just get the pipes remove now and see how the stormwater will be absorbed, and if there is any problem, I will get a plumber to have a look.

9. bob shovel

Has council offered any suggestions? I'd assume no.
    Is going to go that way anyway, the water being absorbed is minimal.hey a plumber to have a look

10. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Is there a roof down pipe that feeds into these, or is it just a ground channel directing surface water from the pool deck?

If it's just the open ground pipes then is there an actual requirement for surface water drainage to be considered?

If not, can you just fill them with concrete and level them off so they are not in fact directed drain channels anymore and just see where the surface water flows? Some of it may flow back into the pool to keep it topped up!

Be a lot cheaper just to fill and them will concrete than cut them out.

11. HouseData

I think there might be a roof pipe that feeds into these pipes. I never lived in this property before so I did not pay much attention.

Good idea about filling the pipes with concrete, I have asked council about that. But I doubt they will accept it. The contract came back with more than $2500 :(.

Looking for another quote now.

12. bob shovel

The roof pipe could be the problem with council. That may need to be directed to the street or else where. Ground water goes where it goes and the neighbour had to deal with that but if more water is being directed towards them it becomes a problem

Have you got a rough sketch of where those channels are going? And he natural gas on the land

13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If it is a roof pipe you are dead in the water. Council usually has guidelines as to how this has to be dealt with.
    Marg