Council - Rate Payments

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by RedMarty, 16th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RedMarty

RedMarty Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Wasn't sure which thread I should put this in, but I have a concern regarding my FIRST full council rate payment for my unit. For the period Jan - Mar 16 we paid $815 for a quarter. This is just rates, not utilities. For the period Apr - Jun 16 we will pay $410 for the quarter. I queried this with the council and received the following reply:

I have looked into this for you – the reason that you have paid more in JAN – MAR ’16 Quarter is because of the various fees and charges that are levied against a property for the very first quarter that it is owned (after being built), please see below for more information pertaining to these fees and charges.

1.The Department of Natural Resources and Mines (DNRM) has advised Council of a new or amended valuation to be used for rating purposes of the property as such the date of effect of the valuation is advised by DNRM and the general rate charge is backdated to this date.

2.Under the provisions of the Local Government Act Council is required to adjust rates when the valuation notice is issued. As a result your next rate notice will include the differential general rate charge for this quarter as well as an amount under the heading “Differential General Rate - Rate Adjustment”. This represents rates calculated from the effective valuation date to 31 December 2015. This will then appear on the next quarterly rates notice (Jan – Mar ’16).

3.Also, on the above mentioned quarter, you also have been charged $95 as a change of ownership fee, this fee is levied by DNRM and applied by Council to all properties when purchased on the first rates notice after purchase.

Now I understand the change of ownership fee but according to the rates notice we have two differential rate charges.

If anyone can explain this better than the council or this has happened to you (new building) please let me know.

Cheers
    Martin

2. RedMarty

RedMarty Well-Known Member

Thought I might update this as I had a little win :)

Received a response from the finance officer from the council and was advised the rate change was from the Oct - Dec 15 period.

I keep that email, did the sums from when the builder owned it and sent them an email of the portion owed to me by them with the council email and rates I already paid.

Got a response two day later and was advised they will pay today and the money went through!