Council approval of sunroom

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Xsi, 8th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xsi

Xsi Well-Known Member

Hi PC Members,

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question. I had lodged an objection with my council for their valuation on the rates notice(too high). The valuer has called me back and requested an onsite inspection. Another issue occurred to me when this happened. The house is 40 years old and has a sunroom. I have owned the property for just a couple of years and have no idea when the sunroom was added(guessing the property would have had a few owners in that time and the sunroom was added at a later stage). I cannot see anything in the section 32 talking about the sunroom or the layout/plan for the house. My concern is that the structure may-maynot have gone through the proper building permit/approval process and this may endup causing a problem for me while the council inspector come for his valuation. Am am worrying unnecessarily(as I had nothing to do with building the sunroom and bought the property as-is)? Hopefully someone has a better understanding on this issue.

Thanks.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Councils in Melbourne all have aerial photos taken quarterly of all local properties. These go back a few years.

If there is an issue with when the sunroom was added, and there is no permit, they could just look up the photos to check the build date.

3. Xsi

Xsi Well-Known Member

Thanks Joynz. In essence, does that imply that I cant be held liable for any construction prior to purchase date?

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

No, you are liable for whatever you have.

5. Xsi

Xsi Well-Known Member

Thanks Propertunity. The sunroom is probably 10+ years old(I really don't know) as it does not appear as old as the house. For all I know, they might have got all the required permits for the extension when constructed, but I am not sure how to check this without exposing myself to any fines/costs?