Could this floor plan work with a 4th bedroom?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by mike7575, 12th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mike7575

mike7575 Well-Known Member

Hi there!

I'm looking into options for renovating one of my IPs, it's located in paralowie SA.

It's a 3 bed 1 bath but I want to see if it's feasible to add a 4th bed and maybe a 2nd bathroom.

Do any of the more experienced renovators think this is doable based on this floor plan?

I'm not sure whether it's possible with the front courtyard part as it has different roofing?

Michael

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Obvious starting place is to enclose the carports.

3. mike7575

Encolse the car ports or just the courtyard area?

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think you need a qualified surveyor’s and builder’s advice to let you know what is permitted and possible.

But before that, talk to council.

I think you’ll l be lucky to be able to reuse the carport roof. It might not have enough height. And the slab probably isn’t to habitable building code.

Angel likes this.
  5. mike7575

Got it, thanks for the info. Probably not worth while.

6. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

If you’re desperate you could turn the bathroom into a bedroom and then combine the laundry and toilet and add a shower and hand basin. You’d have a pretty tiny bathroom (and kitchen and living) for a 4 bed house though.

7. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

You can build a metal roof over the court yard with insulation fitted. Then have the remaining height of the wall fitted with windows. This gives you another room. I have seen this done.

Tricky as your sewage line is likely to be on the left of the block. You might convert the bathtub into a toilet if having a bath isn't a priority.

8. mike7575

Have you ever had issues with concrete slabs not being habitable?

Sounding like the cost might add up for this one..

9. wylie

We had a builder look at a similar set up for us a few years back. From memory we could have had an engineer look at the slab, and if it was acceptable to be used as a floor, we just needed to have it drilled and treated (barrier treatment) for termites. We didn't take it further because we built the floor up on joists instead. But there were two steps down into the old garage that we turned into a bedroom, so we had the head height to add joists over the old slab and it still could be inspected for termites from the higher part of the house.

You don't have that height.

I'd get in a draftsman as a start, pay for for a couple of hours of his time and it might give you a good idea of what is possible, and estimated costs.

10. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I think @wylie has answered. Normally the internals of the dwelling would be treated before laying the slab. One would assume the external ones in this case the courtyard would too. But not sure. Treating it for termite and other infestations is needed. Also you need to make sure the new roof over the courtyard has proper drainage. Otherwise water will find its way into your new room.

Then you have to open a new door at the lounge where the air conditioner is as new entrance into your home. You also need some new windows on the wall facing the backyard.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Termite treatment is the least of the potential issues.

A moisture barrier for the courtyard slab is another one. You might have to pull it up and redo it.

The slab my not even be the required thickness - it could just be non-engineered DIY concrete,

Last edited: 13th Jan, 2021
    Angel and spoon like this.
  12. wylie

This is pretty much what I was saying. In our case, the builder flagged the lack of under-slab termite treatment as more of an issue than the quality of the slab itself, which was sound, but would have needed to be signed off by an engineer, but all issues were discussed.

Our house was built in the 30s so there were no plans, and no easy way to see the quality, depth or construction method of the slab. In conjunction with the builder (who'd brought in an engineer to sign off on some steel beams for opening walls in this house), we chose instead to raise the floor level with joists than go down the track of trying to make the slab compliant (or prove it was compliant).

For a newer house, plans might be available, or an engineer might have an easier task of seeing what the construction of the slab is like.

In the end, we chose to build over the top of the old slab rather than spend money on an engineer. We also were able to bring the floor level up so it was less obvious that this was so much lower than the level of the house.

13. mike7575

Awesome responses, thanks so much for the info. I may go down the route of hiring a draftsman or someone to check it ou.