Cost to replace vanity basin unit in bathroom in apartment

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by bythebay, 7th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bythebay

bythebay Well-Known Member

Hi guys

The vanity basin unit in an IP needs replacement.
    I was thinking about buying this set from Bunnings, putting it together with a mixer tap and supplying it to the plumber so he can charge for labour only.
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/estilo-900mm-vinyl-wrap-freestanding-vanity-cabinet_p4843096
    But the current unit is sitting on a tile bed about 10cm high which might make the Bunnings one too high?
    What's a reasonable range for the cost of replacing the unit (labour plus materials and replacement unit)?
    What about for labour alone (if I provided my own assembled vanity basin unit)?

Called a few plumbers who all said they are too busy and can't do the job ... waiting for PM to call me to see if her plumber can attend.

Thank you all in advance.
    btb

2. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Plumber doesn't want to do a 2-300 job that's why they are busy.
    But if it is assembled and you don't need to replace tiles, then to fit the taps and plumb it should be 2-400..

bythebay likes this.
  3. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

I'd avoid vinyl wrapped if you want longevity.

You'll also require a pair of mini cistern cocks and reinforced hoses.

bythebay likes this.
  4. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

Check Beaumont tiles- I got a sink,vanity/plug/mixertap preassembled for about $330 a year or two ago.

bythebay likes this.
  5. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

What pistonbroke said about vinyl wrap.

Also, plumbing it yourself is a piece of cake if you're slightly handy. Attach mixer tap, screw on braided lines, connect trap and you're done.

Of course, you should always pay a licensed professional to ensure compliance. The above suggestion obviously assumes you have the correct licensing and accreditation to perform such a task...

miked and bythebay like this.
  6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

What would you use instead? I'd rather vinyl wrap marine over chipboard where the ends easily chip, absorb moister etc. Guessing OP is going budget picking the unit he/she has.

I have similar, if the unit is going to be too high consider it without the base box/kick-board etc.
    You could also consider a wall hung unit and turn the section above the tiles into a shelf.

A pic of the current unit including whats either side of it etc would help with suggestions.
    E.g, try to avoid small gaps either side (like between it and the shower screen) making it difficult to clean, i.e. where hair, dust, bobby pins etc are going to fall in.

bythebay likes this.
  7. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

I'd rather MDF with pvc edgestrips. Vinyl wrap still has bonding issues afaik. I know a few manufacturers who have steered clear of these products but are still looking after the legacy. Acid cat or poly is preferable but if you can pick up similar made in China from Bunnies or Martyrs go for it.

bythebay likes this.
  8. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

The classic 'too busy' line. What they really mean is 'your job isn't worth getting my hands wet over.....I'd rather sit in front of the telly then tell everyone I know geez it's been quiet the last few months'....

bythebay likes this.