Cost to replace hinge on wooden fence gate?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by quop, 6th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A plumber also holds a plumbing licence which allows him to do the work ie has done a 4 year apprenticeship toeet the requirements of the water authority.

2. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Plumbers have their place, but connecting a couple of flexi hoses to the taps is almost like screwing on a garden hose fitting to a tap.
    Let the plumbers do the hard stuff where they have to use some skills and knowledge to keep them on the ball.

DaveM likes this.
  3. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I had a hinge welded on a broken gate at one of my properties because I couldnt spare one of my blokes to go to Bunnings and get one and weld it on. That was last month.

93.50 pesos.

pinkboy

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Have you been out to see Datto's tenants again :D

datto likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I thought that I recognized the MO. ;)

datto likes this.
  6. quop

quop Well-Known Member

My guesstimate would have been around $50-75, maybe $100 tops. This does not factor for callout fees or significant travel to/from the job site, as not all handymen charge the former, and the latter is entirely avoidable by using someone local.

I arrive at this amount based on
    1. my guesstimate of the amount of time/effort required to do the job: (15-30mins), plus maybe up to 30mins extra time to go buy the part if they didn't already have it at hand.
    2. prices (inclusive of parts/materials used) I've previously paid for handyman work that required a comparable/greater level of time/effort:
      • $176 to replace a wooden fence post (old one was rotted out near the base and leaning)
      • $75 to install a new Hills rotary clothesline (dig a hole, cement in the base of clothesline, minor assembly/installation of the rest of the clothesline)
      • $100 to replace a cracked shower floor tile
    Unsure of relationship, though my understanding is that this handyman is on the PM's panel of contractors for this type of work.

The last time I had a plumber out to replace a kitchen sink mixer tap (burst pipe), it cost me $220.