Cost to paint house interior?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by crackles01, 24th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. crackles01

crackles01 Active Member

Just want to ask people's thoughts on repainting a property that has very colourful interior, as I'm not sure how much extra this will cost. I only managed to get very rough estimate so far and I can't DIY.

For anyone with experience, anything to consider? I just don't want to get caught off-guard with the pricing later on.

2. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

How much extra it will cost will depend on how many rooms. E.g. Is it just one or 2 walls? Or lots of rooms?
    Typically, the painters may need more time preparing the walls, and/or more coats of paint.

3. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

Between $2-6k depending if it's a one bedroom unit or 4 bedroom house

jared7825 likes this.
  4. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

It will depend. I've painted 4 homes within 18months recently.

If your house is empty and your OK with the painters spraying it will be cheaper than having them remove furniture/cover up the furniture and use a roller/brushes to paint it. Also will depend on how many coats and the type of paint.

I got 4 houses done all were 3 Bedroom houses for all rooms and ceilings and wood trims/windows/doors approx. $3k to $3.5k. All houses were empty.

You can even get it for cheaper if you shop around on Airtasker, Service Seeking or HiPages. Some guy that needs work will do it for $2k - $2.5k. Still OK money for a 2 day job.

I'm happy to use cheaper paints and 2 coats (usually Taubman's is the cheapest. If you want to use British Paints or Dulux it will be more) . In and out in 2 days max. This price will include all patching as well.

Last edited: 24th Feb, 2021
  5. thunderstrike888

$2k to paint a 1 bedroom unit? You could get it done for $1500 or under especially if the place is empty and they will spray it.

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I pay $2700 for a 2500 sq ft home in US, including wood trims.... if only we could get cheap labor here.... damn

7. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

Hi, crackles for a quality job would likely have all the colorful walls undercoated and that gives a good base for a new colour to go throughout the house

I would agree with $1500 for a 1 bedroom unit, up to 6-8k for a large house depending on layout and number of doors, doubtful it would be sprayed though for a 1 bedder repaint

8. crackles01

crackles01 Active Member

Wow thanks for all the responses. I've noted all of these down. It's for a 4-br house, and everything including lounge needs repainting.

The colours are too bright, so thanks @jared7825 for this idea too. Hopefully it doesn't add up more to the cost.

9. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

I just got 2 quotes, $12k & $12.5K
    4 bedroom 2 Bath. Entire interior, walls, doors, ceiling & Trim. (Not inside of cupboards)
    Does need a bit of prep & repair but am i getting screwed?

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

For pro painters its likley to be reasonable. But it is higher end. If you want a cheaper job put it out on hipages and make sure you spec only licensed painters + paint quality and number of coats (bold colours will need undercoat and sometimes two + two top coats) and application method (eg roller and brush). Spraygun is cheaper but its often super thin and will not last well. If you have a dimensioned floorplan it would help quotes. I am always wary of cheap paint as it wont last and wear as well as some brands. Pro painters usually use trade branded bulk paint and dont use cheapo stuff. Some images / info to guide the prep work. All painters expect some prep work. Sanding flaky stuff esp timberwork etc is more time intensive. They will fill minor wall marks and dents. If any major defects are evident pics help. You will get more quotes if the info is good than if they NEED to go to site and check.

Good painters will even offer color suggestions and trim accents etc that they know are popular. Paint costs the same in any "normal" colour. This is your chance to restyle by changing all the colour

11. thunderstrike888

LOL $12k to paint? Geesus. I dont know a single person that would pay that. Unless your trying to flip a house in Vaucluse spending this amount on any rental makes no sense.

12. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Haha wow.
    This is my first investment property and unfortunately it is a 1500KM round trip otherwise i would tackle it myself. 3 of the painters i contacted were booked out until next year, and 2 came in at ~ 12K, but maybe i should seek another,

Attached Files:

13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That does seem rather expensive, but I've no idea of the size of the house. You could have a tiny 4 bedder, or a giant McMansion.

14. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Floorplan.jpg
    Garage and inside robes not included in quote

15. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Feels high. Unless there are not enough painters around?
    Put the job on Air Tasker or HiPages for comparison. I try not to use them, unless I am desperate, but if they have good reviews and are actual painting professionals, it might be worth considering.

16. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

1k per bedroom! Way too high, get more quotes

17. FrivolousPanda

FrivolousPanda Well-Known Member

Things I learnt from organising painting:
    - Be clear on what paint you want and number of coats as mentioned in other posts but also use bathroom paint in damp areas, oil/water based
    - Are doors being painted? Top of the door? Bottom of the door may be good for bathroom or external doors
    - Are they removing face plates on switches, door handles etc which gives a nicer finish and also no chance for them to be painted to the walls when you need to remove them for maintenance
    - Are they removing and patching things previously stuck on walls, doors etc e.g. picture hooks, old smoke alarms, TV brackets, as part of patching?
    - How are they protecting the floor?
    - If you have double hung windows, make sure they don't get painted shut

Hope this helps

L_auren and Penguin like this.
  18. Brissy1

Brissy1 Well-Known Member

All the cost is in the labour really. I got quoted $5k to paint the upper floor level of our Queenslander, all vg panelling, ceiling moulding, fret work etc. That was for Living, Dining, Bedroom, Kitchen. I thought the price was ok, but i'm doing it myself, not much prep work other than some sanding and filling. Material costs including brushes rollers etc. will be around $350. I'm just ok taking 2 months to do it rather than getting someone in for 2 weeks. Keeps me busy..!

19. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

$10k is not unexpected right now for Brisbane. I was quoted around $20k to do inside and out recently. In the end I did it myself - took 3 months, and my sanity!

I just considered it an extra part-time job given I saved $18k or so. Lot of work required if surfaces are poor with flaking paint.

Lots of interstaters posting their expectations, hope they have properties in Brisbane with recent quotes to truly give proper estimates!. Prices here right now for many things are nuts.

Brissy1 likes this.
  20. Diesel1990

Diesel1990 Active Member

South East qld a couple months a ago was $7700 for 3 bedrooms, hallway and lounge. Only contractor who could do it within 18 months. Only reason I got squeezed in was because he had another job on the same street, could go between jobs no worries as one coat was drying.

gman65 likes this.