Cost of stormwater pump?

Discussion in 'Development' started by albanga, 21st Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

"Guru" I'll speak to my accountant about payment plans and seminars to start !

Just happy to help, like everyone else. I just happen to be good with pipes and **** :cool:

albanga and Sackie like this.
  2. Geelong Cable Locations

Geelong Cable Locations Member

Ok, so what I reckon he is doing is just softening you up and also just covering himself.

When he comes back to you in a few weeks time and says it will be about $9,000 to do it all, you will think great let's do it, because he has conditioned you to a higher figure. But if he put in there $5k as a provisional sum and then came back to you and says now that it is designed and specced out the cost is $9k you would be upset and would be looking at ways you can get around it.

jim1964, Sackie and bob shovel like this.
  3. bob shovel

Or it will cost 9k but he'll fluff it up to 15k for some cream ;)

4. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

He said he did one similar recently and it cost around 15k which is why he used that as his provisional.
    I am definitely not holding my breath that he will come back and say "hey mate it's actually only 5k".

5. albanga

Hi All,

Just wanted to update you on this. The civil design has been officially completed for the change to my construction and now quoted.

The end fixed cost on the contract......
    $22,000!!!! Ouch!!

I don't have it with me but will post the run down on the quote of works being carried out.

Now comes the interesting question! The development has a section173 on title and the existing property which I sold obviously also gets this. The owner who purchsed the property has rented it and moved to America.
    I think legally the 173 would impose him to pay half of the cost for this as a clause in the development is the stormwater.
    I imagine though it could be a tough slog and cause massive delays trying to get someone in America to agree they need to cough up 11k!

I think I am going to just have to wear it, OR just pay it and then try and recoup the costs in the future. I also worry this could cause long term strain which I want to avoid.

6. TML

TML Well-Known Member

@albanga. $22K i feel for you matey.

Did the builder tell you why the Provisional sum of $15K went up to $22K?

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Probably wanted to look more competitive to get the business and under quoted.

@albanga It could be worse mate. I have a PS of 50k for my on site detention tanks as council in their great wisdom refused a pump system. Also I think you'll start growing pink hair before your neighbour will cough up 11k mate.

8. bob shovel

Did the design change much?

I'm sure the owner will love seeing that letter no matter what country they're in.
    So did you sell it with the section 173 approved or would they have known about it? Do they gain anything from going halves? It may be up to you to pay the bill if you need it

9. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

22,000 is way too expensive...Try an alternate quote to get the price down given your original budget was 15K. Builder will not be thrilled.
    What was the disclosure wrt drainage plan in s 173 ? I doubt how much of it would hold given the design has changed

10. albanga

Hey Guys,
    I'll try to answer all questions.

The original 15k was a provisional only and no civil was ever sighted at that stage. The builder just used a recent development he did in the same area that required a pump pit. I will ask him why such a difference though compared to what he did.

The 173 on the permit only states a stormwater retention system must be used. Nothing has ever been submitted to council so in their eyes nothing has changed. The only person who has ever seen the original civil design was me and I did show the builder (he just didn't quote off it at that stage as knew it would change with the changes I was making to the dwelling). That said the changes between the original and final civil were pretty much nothing. At most an extra downpipe from the roof I put over my deck.

The owner bought with the173 in place. My guess is they don't have a good conveyancer or they didn't care much about it. Either way they purchaed with it and as such are legally bound by the permits conditions of which one is drainage.

I am renting though so it really comes down to a cost thing. I could try and get him to pay but being in America, likely appealing to VCAT and general slow council and legal system and the 11k I'm trying to get will pretty much be lost in delays! I am thinking it's not worth it.

Finally the pit doesn't benefit the new owner in anyway. His storm water currently just runs off onto my block. If anything it's worse for him because now it goes into the pit which believe me if it stuffs up in the future he will be paying for!

11. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

It's not just the pump, you are quite likely to need 3 phase power to drive the pumps.