Cost of quotation

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Burramys, 8th Apr, 2024.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

A significant reno is planned, $80-120,000. A builder has advised me that the a quotation will cost. Is this usual?

2. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Just had that happen for the first time .

I don’t have an issue with it . People get three quotes and each involve many hours work ( if done properly )

cliff …

Terry_w likes this.
  3. OllieP

OllieP Member

Recently had builder wanting 1k to quote a ~250k reno, cost to come off total if we went ahead.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I had it with a landscaper. Initial rough concept free with crude cost estimate. Then if we agreed to progress full drawing and specs and detailed quote was $XXXX ($1200 ?) It would be applied to the final charges as a credit.

5. Burramys

Thanks. I may seek a more detailed estimate rather than the very rough one with a largish price range. One problem is that I have been seeking a builder for several years and cannot find anyone to do the job. Three quotations are needed before I can proceed.

6. Swuzz

Swuzz Well-Known Member

What do you get for $250k these days?

7. OllieP

OllieP Member

Adding 2 new rooms, redo master and ensuite bathrooms, new kitchen, large deck, new flooring throughout and landscaping,

Swuzz likes this.
  8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Similar. I wanted a guy to come out and check out my place for carpet vs. Hybrid flooring and it was $200 for him to come out, with that cost to be deducted when I accept the quote. Was great for my peace of mind and he brought samples of the carpet, which then led me to research and pick a different carpet! He also went around my rooms with a laser measure said my place was a bit bigger than what was on the floorplan.

$200 well worth paying.

9. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

I just give customers a rough price estimate before i quote now.
    Saves a lot of wasted time and weeds out those who want it all for nothing or just are genuinely clueless
    Never actually charged for a quote though but its not like i need to design anything too detailed

igor1234, willair and See Change like this.
  10. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Just a cost of doing buisness...

11. Paul@PAS

If its insurance make sure you hit the insurer with that cost

12. Burramys

Suppose I get three quotations for $1000 each and accept one, which deducts the $1000 from the $100,000 cost. The total cost of the build stage - excluding architect, soil test, engineering, etc - is thus $102,000. Is this added to the capital base or used in an insurance claim?

13. Paul@PAS

I would argue if all quotes cost $1K the cost of the insurance loss is $101K if its a insuarnce claim event. Insurer should include a range of required costs incl valuations, certifier, design, testing and quotes in the cost to rebuild / repair. If its not a insured matter the expected cost is always more than just a builders quote. eg Council approvals, fees, permits, waste and tipping, landscape and final finishing eg flooring, paint, wallpaper, clean up. A builders costing is rarely a complete cost

14. Burramys

Pal, thanks. I have spent a few thousand dollars getting to the stage where a builder can quote.

15. igor1234

igor1234 Well-Known Member

all that for 250?? can u share details pm?

16. OllieP

OllieP Member

@igor1234 Can't PM yet. Going owner builder with friends/family doing most of work.

igor1234 likes this.