Coronavirus

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Lizzie, 29th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You mean SB Plaza and Market Sq? :eek:

Apparently similar in Box Hill (Vic) near us;
    https://www.theage.com.au/national/...l-amid-coronavirus-fears-20200203-p53xbx.html

The Y-man

willair likes this.
  2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

My take is he spoke to you from a distance bc he was thinking 'what if...?' and couldn't wait to get you out of there.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That sounds like it may have been the case. I wonder how a local GP should be dealing with such a patient who has travelled recently, could genuinely have the virus?

There would be some guidance from government health authorities on how to deal with this, surely?

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Y-man,that's correct much the same as looking at most businesses in the Brisbane Mall last night ..

This time of year as it's China's busiest season into Australia the mall is full of Chinese the only few i say were all wearing masks so i guess every business that's linked to the tourist flow may will suffer in one way or another..imho..

5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I thought we banned all flights from China yet I'm seeing flights form the mainland still landing? Maybe I misunderstood?

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Chatting with Sunnybank Plaza/Sunnybank Hills staff the other day, said it was absolutely dead that they had to postpone the NY fireworks etc.

Last edited: 5th Feb, 2020
    willair likes this.
  7. wylie

What is SBP/SBH? I googled and couldn't work out what staff you were speaking with.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Fixed :)

The Y-man and wylie like this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

David JOHNSON likes this.
  10. MicrowaveJenny

MicrowaveJenny Well-Known Member

Yes , totally understood standing from a distance, and being keen to see me out. I was just surprised with how dismissive he was about my symptoms and recent travel. Needed prompting to take my temperature ...unsure how to answer my questions about symptoms, and wasn't even sure if there was a test (until leaving the room to collect something from a printer which answered that question 'yes')

I didn't have a fever, that was that. No follow up advice or information. Happy with that of course, but surprised with how it was handled.

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...e-exposed-to-coronavirus-20200205-p53xzl.html

You prob weren't on this cruise ship but I think its prudent for you to quarantine yourself for a couple of weeks at least;).

The carrier/s who came from Wuhan should be ashamed of themselves. They prob knew they were a risk and went ahead anyway. In times of crisis, you can't count on people looking after number one. When in doubt, bet on self interest.

Last edited: 5th Feb, 2020
  12. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

**** doctor obviously.. get a better one!

13. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

14. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Would this episode eventually wake those in China who used to eat wild game up?

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

16. keenas

keenas Well-Known Member

I too have just gotten back from Asia (not china) and went to my local hospital for something totally unrelated. Whilst chatting with the doctor i queried whether they had received an influx of patients as there is a uni with a high population of overseas students nearby. Her response...no, we are busy because of stupid people...people presenting themselves because someone of asian appearance coughed, sneezed or even stood near them!

I would have gone to the GP in your case too.

17. wylie

I do believe that if those "stupid people" who said someone of Asian appearance coughed or sneezed near them, and did nothing, felt unwell and decided they were not at risk, and it is just a cold, end up having the virus, then we'd be reading in the papers that they are selfish, stupid and taking risks with the health of everyone they have been in contact with.

This is happening already in the newspapers for people who have spread the illness without knowing they had been infected. Seems like you just can't win. Hindsight is wonderful. Meanwhile who's to know who might be infected, not know it yet, and has just sneezed near you.

keenas likes this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm no where near in any form of "alarm" - despite keeping an eye on what's happening - but do find it a tetch disconcerting that Indonesia, a country of 264mil, that has close ties with China and a large and mobile Chinese population, has not reported a single case of Cornavirus.

They may be lucky, or else their detection and testing is sub par. I suspect the latter, which leaves potential for a massive outbreak given the population density in it's major cities

19. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

An outbreak of the virus in Indonesia would be disastrous for Australia, especially if it spread to somewhere like Bali and then back to Australia.
    Its also quite a poor country , with millions that do not even have access to medical care, a high infant mortality rate and a very high rate of smoking related deaths amongst males, which is a perfect storm for anyone to catch the virus , due to the continued hand to mouth contact.
    Quite a few that work in the mining industry in Western Australia live in Bali in their week off, due to the low cost of living, and then go back to a perfect breeding ground for the virus with large communal dining rooms where everyone eats their breakfast and dinner every night.

gman65 and Lizzie like this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

That's my concern ... hopefully unfounded

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.