Coronavirus skeptics

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by JDP1, 17th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Im sure most PC members will agree in awcknoledging that covid-19 is real and not a hoax. There is substantial scientific hard evidence that proves that. .
    However, I have a friend (nice guy, but not the sharpest tool in the shed nor has the curiosity to find out whats fact from fiction) who thinks covid-19 is a hoax for gullible people. Not surpringly, this person also does not believe in climate change etc..
    So, my question is...how do I engage with this person? This person is a nice person and I really don't want very different mindsets and views to create animosity between us. Everyone has the right to their views even if we may think its stupid, not backed by science etc.
    However, its very frustrating..how someone can clearly ignore scientific evidence and religiously stick to their closed minded beliefs...its also frustrating because these kind of beliefs are potentially dangerous..both to themselves and those in society.
    Any suggestions here..this is a person with such ignirance they will disregard all scientific and data driven evidence even if it's pointed out and they certainly won't have the curiosity to seek the evidence themselves.

luckyone likes this.
  2. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

What are his beliefs and opinions please?

Covid and Climate-Change is totally different.

Traveller99, Serveman and iloveqld like this.
  3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Ahh you mean like religion? It's called 'Faith'

But seriously, why bother trying to engage them on this subject? If you seriously want to be friends with the guy then just accept that they are his beliefs and it's not your job to convince him otherwise and vice versa.

MTR, Joynz, Lizzie and 2 others like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Does he think the 30,000 dead people in the US is part of the hoax?

I would do like I do when a friend who is an anti-vaccer... just don't discuss that subject.

luckyone, iloveqld, Rugrat and 2 others like this.
  5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think this is the right way to go about it..i am not trying o convince him of anything...not coronavirus, not climate change, etc...becayse he will disregard it all anyway.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  6. Lindsay_W

"Show me the bodies" :p

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Unless he fronts up at your door to pay a friendly visit!

The Y-man

8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Its mentioned in the post..his views is that covid 19 is a hoax.
    Yea obviously I do know covid and climate change are different...im just using another example of disregarding evidence yo illustrate a point.

Pumpkin likes this.
  9. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Is your friend Boris Johnson?

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Does it really matter what he believes? If you are concerned that he is spreading the virus, a call to the local police might make you feel better. In my lifetime I have met many really nice lovely and kind people, who are poorly educated and believe all kinds of weird stuff.

11. Lindsay_W

Boris was actually diagnosed with Covid-19 - I think it's fair to say he's a believer

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You will never change their mind - or convince them - until they are ready to be changed. Which may be never.

All you can do is present the information in general in the course of everyday conversation - in a non pushy or threatening way - if it comes up. Otherwise, steer clear of the subject. Personally I wouldn't be friends with someone with such closed views (Covid and climate), but would rather consider them friendly acquaintances

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

He is now - wasn't so much to start with

wylie likes this.
  14. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

That's a bit absurd. Definition of Hoax in Oxford Dictionary doenst explain your Post.....
    Did you mean he didnt believe in the Stats produced by Qld Health, WHO?
    There's even an App from QH for this purpose.
    Or he didnt believe in the seriousness?
    Cant see how he can un-believe this Covid. Perhaps just ask him to talk to a Doctor or any medical worker.

But if he is debating about the source, that'd be a different story.

15. Lindsay_W

Not taking it seriously and not believing in it entirely, are two different things - Guess he got his Karma in the end and maybe now won't be "continuing to shake hands" :)

Lizzie likes this.
  16. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

A hoax? That's just stupid. If on the other hand he doubt specifics of it then I fully understand. The agendas of certain countries and organisations in regards to this have been nothing short of disgusting. I wouldn't trust the WHO with anything anymore.

At the moment this stands at being 3 times more deadly than the flu and that is with all the isolation and social distancing and lockdowns around the world. Imagine how much higher it would be if those things weren't implemented.

Bunbury likes this.
  17. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I agree its stupid...but you know what they say...stupidity is not a crime.
    This guy will say..yeah he knows he is stupid, but he is happy with the way he is and content.
    Another true saying..ignirance is bliss. Rarely have I met anyone so blissful.

18. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Not in that they clearly exist and only idiots would believe otherwise.

George Smiley, Bunbury and Lizzie like this.
  19. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

Ha, an old school friend said to me the virus was invented by the elites. I said but its the older Europeans and north americans who are the elites that are dying from it. And Africa and South america have younger populations so are less affected.

I realised then he had joined the conspiracy nutters. Still a mate tho!

20. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

I know you’re joking, that aside though, I saw on ABC news breakfast a few days ago the mass graves in the US. They dug huge holes and were forklifting coffins, piling them on top of each other, 2 or 3 deep. Hundreds of uniform white rectangular box coffins in these mass graves. Hard to believe it was in America.

On this idea of it being a hoax, a girl I sent to high school with thinks it is too. She thinks it’s a conspiracy formed by the US government (maybe she missed the president’s comments at the beginning of the pandemic?) and has something to do with Bill Gates.

Last edited by a moderator: 18th Apr, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.