Coronavirus: Look, but don’t touch at open homes

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Peter2013, 12th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Peter2013

Peter2013 Well-Known Member

NoCookies | The Australian

With data showing Coronavirus can live on surfaces for up to 9 days, should open houses be cancelled?

On January 22nd, two infected Chinese Nationals attended an auction on Pam Street at Firle S.A., prompting the shutdown of a Ray White Real Estate office.

But, could potential buyers now be leaving Coronavirus behind on surfaces after coughing and sneezing in open houses and later infecting their owners?

2. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

As the virus spreads in Australia people will simply avoid close contact with other people.
    Many homeowners would simply refuse to do home opens if they live in the property.
    What would be the ramifications if an investor allowed a home open on a rental and the tenants were then infected.

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Me on a normal day if I'm honest.

4. Peter2013

Peter2013 Well-Known Member

That's an interesting one. The landlord has a duty of care. I'm sure it will be tested in the courts in the next couple of months.....

I note rental agents are now advised to talk to tenants and defer rental inspections if the tenant is self quarantining. The principal would have a duty of care not to put his/her staff at harm under workplace health and safety laws. Could be a shake up for the industry. Agent gives 14 days notice of inspection, and then needs to ring the tenant the morning of the inspection and ask if anyone in the household has a fever, sore throat, been overseas or in contact with someone infected. Would be the same for the sales agent, if they have a tentants home on the market.

As for sales, the REINSW's official advice to agents further recommends "deferring open, periodic or other inspections if there is any concern".

5. Biggbird

Biggbird Well-Known Member

At least one agency in Hobart has elected to stop doing open homes and will only be having private viewings.

6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

What do you think happens when you go to Woolies or Coles or Maccas or the chemist....or your kids when they're at school?

OFIs would be no more risky than any of those.

FWIW I think this virus is virtually unstoppable and will run its course unless a vaccine is developed so am playing the waiting game.

Propertunity likes this.
  7. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

I’m attending dozens of auctions today, registering, sniffelling, coughing, sneezing, touching everything and everyone, and carrying my 200 packets of toilet paper under my arm.

let’s see if I can pick up a few bargains,

lettert, wilso8948, Sackie and 6 others like this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Left over toilet rolls?

9. einentiva

einentiva Well-Known Member

Lol damn i should do the same!!

10. QldKoolies

QldKoolies Well-Known Member

Seeing a big decrease in turnouts in Brisbane today.

11. Ben Plohl

Ben Plohl Member

Plenty of buyers out in the Inner West of Sydney today. Slight drop off in numbers but that could be due to the rain.