Corona Virus: How has the Aus Government handled it

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by TMNT, 21st Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

How well do you think the Aus Government has handled the Covid19 situation

1. Theyve done a great Job

42 vote(s)
    40.8%
  2. Neutral

28 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. Theyve done a bad job

33 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go as far to say its a 'blessing', because that would be an insult to those who've died, but COVID19 has been a an important drill for the world when the big one hits...something with the lethality of Ebola or Hendra (or worse) and the virulence of C19. Hopefully we've learnt some lessons and will do the right and smart thing before and when it happens.

HUGH72 and Peter_Tersteeg like this.
  2. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Most probably because they'd laid out thousands of non-returnable dollars and decided the risk was worth it - apart from the cruise company not refunding money, I'm pretty certain travel insurers won't pay if you've decided you don't want to go on a cruise that is being operated. If the government had put a ban on the cruise departing, those who went wouldn't have had to make this call and would have got their money back.

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

It'd be interesting to know if the cruise company was issuing refunds or credit vouchers - surprised that hasn't been reported/investigated yet. Or maybe it has??

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We did well:). Now we need to get business back and get our economy on track and if you are in the vulnerable group..... stay home

5. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

A couple more weeks, no slip ups, widespread testing everywhere with the cases in Sydney and Tasmania stamped out. Then I would agree, vulnerable can continue to self isolate and the economy can start to turn.

I'm neither young or old but I do think the burden of this is being worn mostly by the younger generation in casual or graduate positions. These positions the are the first to go.

MTR likes this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I agree. Those of us who have been working a long time tend to not have the retail or hospitality roles but a lot of younger people have these more vulnerable roles. They also tend to have less savings/assets than anybody middle aged or older, so they really aren’t in a good position.

As to COVID-19, I think we are doing very well here in Aus, I think we can start to work as normal soon (avoiding any large crowds/gatherings I would suggest, I think that still needs to be banned), and we just can’t let people from outside Australia bringing it in and spreading so we have to protect our borders. 14 day quarantine for anybody coming into Australia till we are certain that the people from overseas are not a higher risk to us than anybody else in the general population.

I would love if the Australian states would open borders, so even if we can’t travel overseas, then at least we could travel within Aus.

Francesco, MTR and HUGH72 like this.
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Interesting that NSW govco want to get the Ruby Princess out of Port Kembla ASAP

Even though there is an investigation going on........

I know the result, the ship leaves, they are found guilty, but the company would have started bankruptcy steps and already sold all assets (to their new company) for a song :mad:

So no fine will be paid, there won't be any reimbursement of the costs to hospitalize or quarantine so many people, the suppliers of food/fuel in Aus won't get paid, the promised refunds won't happen..........o_O

They just want to let those millions owed sail away !!!
    I say impound the Ruby Princess :p

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think so far so good

however big test for government now is if they can save the economy

everyone should now be concerned about this

economical health, we are in survival mode

9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I'm no expert but I can't think of a developed country other than NZ thats had such a low infection and death rate

It seems early action, stimulus, and politicians pushing the agenda hard had done wonders

The economy might be stuffed but at least we're alive

kierank and shorty like this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Taiwan did amazingly well. .. they have a population of around 24mill on a small island, and only a handful of deaths. They are an island too, I think they learnt what to do after SARS.

geoffw, MTR and TMNT like this.
  11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I thought Singapore had it under control until a few weeks ago being a small island, but maybe not now

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But NZ has a population of 5 million, we have a population of 25 million. Need to compare apples with apples

they went into lockdown stage 4 overkill?? So how will business go after this?

13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

No idea to be honest
    Was just referring to the human cost/ benefit

Apparently they're thinking of opening certain states of USA and uk up, which I think is nuts from a peoples perspective

kierank and Lizzie like this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

As has been stated several times before you can check infections and deaths per million. Simon has posted these figures. Or look at Coronavirus Update (Live): 2,505,443 Cases and 172,321 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

From Worldometers
    Australia 261 infections per million/ 3 deaths per million
    New Zealand 300/3

So Australia band NZ are both doing well

Contrast that with the worst performers
    USA 2400/129
    Spain 4367/455
    Italy 2997/399
    New York 12850/965

In this context, overkill is completely the wrong word. Underkill might apply much better to Australia and NZ.

15. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I'd be inclined to include the UK as not doing so well nor is Belgium along with a few others.

And there is also the thought of what would have been the situation if the Federal and State Governments hadn't taken they actions they have.

16. geoffw

17. geoffw

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

geoffw likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

38.8% voted a bad job....... :eek:

We smashed it, not good enough

I am more concerned on how economy goes over next 12 months and how this is managed

Last edited: 25th Apr, 2020
    Toon, HUGH72 and TMNT like this.
  20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

yeah, ecstatic to see the article saying we smashed it

and as much as there is another article every day about people who ignore the rules, I wonder how much damage the minority of ignorers did