Corner House - Sideyard Privacy

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by PunS, 30th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PunS

PunS Active Member

Hello

I know this topic has been discussed a number of topics but I could not get the information I was looking for.

For a corner House, we generally get the sideyard and not the front yard. Sideyard being on the street, how do you deal with privacy issues in the yard. Is there any cost effective way we can add privacy aspect to the yard?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Puns

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Some councils consider this a secondary frontage allowing side fences to be the same height from the building line, this may not be the same if you're in a newer area.

ff3 likes this.
  3. PunS

PunS Active Member

Thanks Scott. This is for Stanhope Gardens NSW. The issue is that secondary street has double storey houses which overlook into the yard. I was thinking if I can get some trees planted to make it a bit private. How practical is that?

Thanks
    Puns

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

No offense to the OP

But "why" do people buy places to live in, only to then complain about needing privacy :rolleyes:

It's like getting into a relationship knowing there's an issue but hoping to change that person o_O

It seriously does my head in :mad:
    Like "We bought a ground level street front apartment and now want PRIVACY" :confused:
    (as a strata gardener I now use the answer "go inside and close the blinds":p)

Yes, plant some pencil pines (because they look cool), but please come back in a few years and report on the foundation damage, blocked gutters, lack of light and constant mess ;)

Again, not having a dib at the OP, just pointing out a number of things that should be considered during due diligence :)

Mark F and Scott No Mates like this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd plant some trees on the council verge (dead side of the corner block) if you want some privacy. But I gather you are talking about double storey houses across the street so it's not really likely they can see into your yard much

If you have a colorbond fence along your side then you can add the lattice top which gives it an extra 30cm but it's more likely that trees on the outside of the fence will do what you want.

6. PunS

PunS Active Member

Appreciate your response Stoffo.

Agree with you point. I have not yet the bought the house and evaluation mode on these aspects before placing the offer.

Thanks

7. PunS

PunS Active Member

Appreciate your response. That's useful mate.

8. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

Corner blocks suck to live in but may may open more development options with setbacks and potential extra crossovers. Unless you council allows you to do a high fence facing the rd or if it already has one.