Convince me to move to Brisbane...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by hammer, 26th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I might be offered a transfer to Brisbane with work. Same money, similar role (CBD).

Financially the decision would initially see my wife and I down 20k pa (her wages would be less + remote tax breaks etc..,). So that is a big sticking point. The other thing is that we have a damn fine life here in Darwin..we absolutely LOVE it here!!.To get a similar "duplex, walking distance to the CBD and beach" vibe in Brisbane will be difficult.

Darwin is the clear winner if I was thinking with my head.

However thinking with my heart...My parents are in Brisbane and in their late 60s..it would be great to spend more time with them while I can.

I'd also get to (hopefully!) meet the Brisbane PC crew and get to play in a new market.

Anyway, totally torn here. Head vs heart decision.

Anyone gone through this? Sage advice?

Pumpkin likes this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Ask for 30kpa more for the role in Bris Vegas for the increased living costs and cover for wife's loss of income.

Your daily commute time will probably blow out too unless you live next to work.

The Y-man

EN710 and hammer like this.
  3. The Y-man

What is the medium-long term future of your job in Darwin?

If it is likely to disappear/not grow, then could be also a big factor.

The Y-man

wylie likes this.
  4. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

We are in Canberra and the rest of the family in Brisbane. We will need to go back eventually but don't want to for similar reasons.

I second @The Y-man, you should hit them up for more money. Moving costs too as that will be expensive at least $4k for a house load. Good luck with the decision!

hammer likes this.
  5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Long term future in Darwin is outstanding....there is just so much work here.

More money isn't much of an option. There's a bucket set aside for the position and that's it.
    They would cover moving costs though.

6. The Y-man

In that case - stay. Go to Bris for holidays.

The Y-man

Jamie Moore, mikey7, samiam and 2 others like this.
  7. The Y-man

Of course..... who would want to give up scorching hot summers and arctic winter conditions for the weather in Brisbane! :D:D

The Y-man

KayTea, samiam and Pumpkin like this.
  8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Moving cities is too personal a decision for anyone to 'convince' on a forum. Take a vacation yo Brisbane and see for yourself.

EN710 and hammer like this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That's a tough one. I agree you don't need anyone else to convince you. The extra $20k your wife would lose if you move here would pay for a lot of flights home. Your parents might be around for many years (fingers crossed).

If you really love living in Darwin, why not try a regular (every two months?) trip to Brisbane. Are your parents needing you at this stage, missing you (of course), and do they have other support in Brisbane (family and friends)?

I could never have moved cities, away from my parents. Now I don't have them, I couldn't move cities and be too far from our kids. Our family is everything to us. But I know they likely might make a move away and we will all deal with that if and when it happens. At least Darwin is an easy flight and you could have the best of both worlds.

KayTea and hammer like this.
  10. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Agreed but I might be missing something in the decision. Lots of smart people on here. This kind of decision needs to be approached with the best info possible. Someone might well point out something that I've missed.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you do decide to move, would you keep the place you love that is close to the CBD and close to the beach? That way you can always go back. Is there any pressure from your parents? Would a very regular trip home be the "halfway" solution that could work?

12. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

What does your wife think? Would be quite a change in lifestyle if you had to do traffic, living in suburbia and other annoying things that aren't an issue in Darwin.

13. The Y-man

Correct.

For instance you missed the following option: leave wife working in Darwin, convince her of advantages of getting annoying @hammer out of the house, move to Brisbane, take up mistress..... uh....oops, could get *very* expensive.... :eek::eek::eek:

The Y-man

hammer likes this.
  14. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I don't think you can fulfil that criteria in Bne.. Are you looking to sell the duplex and buy a house/townhouse with the same money? You're looking at $1m minimum for a house walking distance of the CBD, a little less for a townhouse.
    You may have to swap the 'beach' lifestyle for a river/creek/bayside lifestyle. Trouble with the bayside is its a long commute if you're used to walking.
    I'd be looking at swapping walking to the CBD to riding to the CBD. Stones Corner on the southside and Grange on the northside would be my picks.. both have a great bikeways, parks, open spaces, cafes and a quick ride into the CBD. You'll find a pretty good lifestyle in both spots ;)

hammer likes this.
  15. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Ha!

She doesn't need convincing.....:)

However, that option whilst certainly "outside the box" does pose a couple of potentially problematic and non-cost effective hurdles....

On a serious note this is a team sport and she's on the fence too. If she was dead set on Brissie then we'd move tomorrow. She sees the benefits in both places.

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

RENT a place on the river, with a pool, within walking, cycling or ferry ride to the CBD. Maybe East Brisbane or Newstead. Usually this option is much cheaper than buying. After six months, reconsider whether you want to buy anything or just keep renting. Your place in Darwin will soon start to grow for you too.

On the other hand, I cant imagine a $20K per annum drop in income............

Kassy, KayTea and ellejay like this.
  17. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

No crocs in brissie, international flights are easier.. less chance of cyclones..that's about it for my list of pros.

I wouldn't move if I were in your position. Housing costs are higher, your commute will probably be longer too.

18. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

If you LOVE Darwin, don't move.

The lifestyle in Brissy will disappoint you. Big city is not the same as outback life - and Darwin is outback dispite being a city.

Or, move to Noosa - Jamie Moore is living the dream over there and it looks the goods :)

Tom Rivera, ellejay and hammer like this.
  19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

• Winter is colder in Brissy
    • 2 hrs closer by plane to Victorian ski slopes
    • Further from Japanese slopes

Phase2 likes this.
  20. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother either, unless you really want to. I know from experience that moving into a city type job after being remote really does feel like a job. It involves a whole lot of everyday humdrum stuff that you would have left behind when you moved to Darwin.

Sometimes you have to move away for a while to appreciate what you have. Could you get a temporary move covering leave for example, rather than the full relocation commitment?

MikeyBallarat and Jess Peletier like this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.