QLD convince me deception bay is a bad idea

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Brad81, 19th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

right!

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Probably because of low price, thinking it will be just like Western Sydney. Brisbane is different.

Tyler Durden likes this.
  3. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

What's the difference? I thought Logan maybe like blacktown, liverpool, merryland?

4. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Logan = Mt Druitt with palm trees .

One of main similarities being extensive areas of housing commission .

Blacktown is a step up from Mt Druitt. Parts of the greater Liverpool area were / are similar but not sure now . Merrylands , don't really know it at all .

Cliff

5. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

If your a water lover for various reasons like you have a boat or jetski or dogs etc D-bay and surrounding area's are pretty good considering what you get for your money, Brisbane has a great climate for the above mentioned activities. And quiet often those living in D-bay will travel to the Sunshine coast or Bribie Island for the 'weekend'... Not everyone wants to live on the Gold Coast or Sunshine coast and travel to Brisbane every day for work, if you live in the Moreton Shire then you have a relatively short commute to the city or your work place (compared to sunny or gold coast) and your often only minutes from the water for your boating etc... For about 350k you can get a nice 4/2/2 and when Brisbane continues to grow in price these cheaper houses close to the water and good transport will not be left behind in price. If you have ever been on a boat or jetski to Moreton Island or North Stradbroke you would know how amazing the islands of Brisbane are I think the area has a lot of potential... Just have to chose carefully where/what you buy.

6. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

So Logan similar with Mt Druitt just has more palm tree which looks like a better place?

7. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

I am definitely a water lover!
    But is D Bay a safe suburb to live?
    How about Manly, or Redland area, or even further south like Redland bay?

8. See Change

They're nice , but more expensive

Cliff

9. See Change

Different .

I prefer gum trees to palm trees .

Cliff

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Sydney is the most populated city in Australia.
    Brisbane is VERY spread out, but has plenty of land.

11. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes, and there is also a huge difference in price and cg between those suburbs.
    Its a bit surprising because the majority of jobs/salary and economic growth is cbd based ...and does not have too much economic punch in the sticks unlike sydney. So why the suburbs so spread out? Dont know.

12. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

That's what I am going to ask? What's the main company area other than Brisbane CBD?

13. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

A bit here and there such as in the satellites ( mt gravatr, ipilly, chermside, carindale) bbut insignificant compared to cbd and surrounds. Its not like in sydney where there is signigicant jobs strength by heavy hitting companies in areas ljke maquarie park, ryde etc...

14. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

in this case close to city or on train line/ bus line should be very important for people, but seems someone suggest that Brisbane people don't really care about that.

15. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

I would say that Brisbane people who work in the city still care a lot about that Fumid.

I know you're not a Brisbane/SE QLD local so It's important to remember that for many years, low vacancy rates (around 2-2.5%) prevented a lot of people renting closer to the city. The flurry of investment since 2012 and the peak period that we have recently entered (categorised by increased vacancy rates, mass construction of apartments and the barrage of interstate investors) means that some people now have more opportunity to rent property closer to their place of work in the CBD.

What does this mean in my opinion? It means that if you're buying in the middle to outer areas close to the peak phase of a market then two things are working against you in the short-term (longterm it isn't relevant). Firstly investment activity (and more recently APRA limitations) has already pushed prices up (10-30% over 3 years in most of these areas). Secondly increasing construction closer to the city and inner-middle ring investment into established housing has also increased vacancy rates closer to the city. Eventually, once the froth blows off the market you'll be left with less rental yield for a period while the market finds an equilibrium. Unlike Sydney and Melbourne, population is not the main driver for the QLD market.

Some vacancy rate examples:

eastbrisbaneJAN16.jpg GabbaJAN16.jpg newfarmJAN16.jpg ToowongJAN16.jpg

Last edited: 20th Feb, 2016
  16. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

If you like pushing the boat across several hundred meters of mudflats at low tide.
    Deception Bay
    [​IMG]

17. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

What ??? Ha..i can assure you that location ( being close to bus/train) is very very important...the well locatd properties in brisbane have outperformed the less well located ones.
    I dont think there is anyone Awho has said being close to bus/train lines isnt important.

18. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

You're right but in it's defence, I think that D-Bay (and the whole Redcliffe peninsula ) is generally a little more sandy than the Redland/Southern Bayside suburbs. We can thank the bay islands and the predominant SE winds for that.

Moor the boat near Point O'Halloran then try to walk in on a falling tide and you'll know what I mean. Waist deep in mud :p

Last edited: 20th Feb, 2016
  19. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Its not far to SCARBOROUGH MARINA to launch... And there are a few other better ramps around. And your dogs will love the mud flats. And you get the sea breeze :)

20. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

Yes, Tyler, you are very right, what I concerned is so many apartments in Brisbane can make rent yield lower than ever, unless some family only want houses, still a lot of impact as well.