Conveyancing fees

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Aque, 1st Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Aque

Aque Member

Hi

I used different Conveyancers before. There was no charges for terminating contract when the deal did pass finance or building and pest inspection.

I recently used a new Conveyancer and the deal was terminated due to bulding and pest. It was a simple termination. However the Conveyancer wants to charge me 200 plus for fees. Is this normal? There was no terms or conditions sent to me or any discussion or indication for this fee.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes normal. On the cheap side.

3. Aque

Aque Member

Thanks Terry. What do you mean by on the cheap side?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Many would charge more. Reviewing the contract is half the work.

Sackie and JacM like this.
  5. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Lucky to get out under $350.

6. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

We recently had a deal fall over on P&B and our conveyance charged us $300. We couldn't pay her quick enough for her services. It was her initial advice on modifying the Building Inspection clause and her no-nonsense approach with dealing with the other sides conveyancer that saved our skin. I will be recommending her highly to anyone.

7. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

We charge $110 on resi termination in QLD plus the searches carried out but then credit the $110 if someone brings another conveyance to us within 60 days. The numbers falling over on finance are significantly up at the moment too. Last time I checked it actually costs me nearly double above in labour costs if something gets as far as finance and then terminates.

8. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

A fee is normal - they've done some work so it's understandable.

I just paid $500+ due to a similar predicament. Listed a property - it didn't sell quickly so solicitor charged a $500 fee for work they've done so far (I'm not quite sure what they've actually done but I understand they have costs to cover).

Cheers

Jamie

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would gladly pay that fee. Saves you a mint. You dont want to proceed to avoid costing you a loss.Walk On. As Terry said much of the work is the initial contract. Of all the worst conveyance problems I have seen its the ones who proceed when they should not have or those who took a OTP contract to exchange when the terms gave them no right to enforce a purchase.

10. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

The only ones I know who let clients off free do it because they know client will be back purchasing next property in a few weeks and because I send a few their way. If there was no prospect of another deal they would charge.