Conveyancing cost for Logan

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by TFBoy, 10th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TFBoy

TFBoy Well-Known Member

Hi all,

What are the approx. conveyancing costs for a purchase in Logan? As my current conveyancer has indicated it costs 45% extra to settle a property in Logan (compare to purchase in BCC) due to search costs.:eek:

If you have any recommendation for conveyancer in Logan please let me know.

Thank you!

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I wonder why it would cost more.

3. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

You should fire your conveyancer. Now

4. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

We used Conveyancing Connection for a purchase in Logan and Deception Bay. Can't remember of the top of my head the cost being much different if at all. They were great though and reasonably priced.
    http://www.conveyancingconnection.com/contact-us

TFBoy likes this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

@TFBoy you're from Sydney, they saw you coming from 2 blocks away.

Tyler Durden likes this.
  6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

My guess as to the cost difference (although it shouldn't be that large) is that they are only doing a rates balance search, not a full rates search. Free in Brisbane City Council, circa $100 in Logan. It is even worse in some areas. Moreton Bay is $282 and then the water search is also $63 dearer than Brisbane.

With mine all our packages are the same throughout QLD. Although this means my professional fees are significantly less as in $345 less on a MBRC property than a BCC property we have to wear it. Otherwise we would need asterisks or fine print on our pricing which completely goes against our ethos.

I would (and do) pay for the rates search in Brisbane anyway as it can highlight notices against the property, lack of final inspections etc (not in all circumstances but most of the time Council picks these up.)

TFBoy likes this.
  7. TFBoy

TFBoy Well-Known Member

What was disappointing is that we have already used them (Brisbane Office) a few times, with this coming as a complete shock after contracts signed and emailed to them.

The ethics are definitely questionable, had their increase the price to match the extra cost incurred than it would be a bit more palatable. But 45% has definitely got me into shaking my head.

Btw they are not these budget ones too, I am using them because they have branches in Sydney where I have used for my Sydney Buy/Sales.

8. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

I don't really understand what you're saying. If they are referring to it being more expensive due to the searches, why is this unethical and why would this make you want another law firm? This is an issue with the variance in what councils charge for their searches and the extreme variation in what those searches reveal. I would suggest it is better to pay 45% more and know your lawyer has conducted adequate due diligence for your purchase.

The disbursements for the searches should also be itemised on your invoice.

If I misunderstood and their professional fees are 45% more than that is a different situation.

Terry_w likes this.
  9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

They should have told you the professional cost + approx. search costs (full amount only known after it's ordered).

My solicitor professional fees is approx $1200 + $700 searches and disbursement - property is within Logan Council

10. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Professional fees sound reasonable for most larger firms. There are plenty of low cost options but these often come at the expense of inexperienced paralegals running the matter and poor client service. Certus is probably one of the exceptions to this rule from my dealings with them.

EN710 likes this.
  11. TFBoy

TFBoy Well-Known Member

@JDM my issue is there have quoted me a fee (professional + searches) 45% higher compare to my bcc purchase settlements after the contract was signed. I have asked them to justified their 45% increase which they couldnt.

12. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Do you have a breakdown of their quoted fees (professional costs and searches separated) and perhaps we could give you some insight on whether it is reasonable?

13. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Circa $1200 for both of my properties.
    Cannot talk more highly of the firm and the staff there.

14. ashimashi

ashimashi Well-Known Member

I got quoted $900 + $430 (moreton bay) which was probably the best one i found.

Seeing Slater&Gordon there quoted me $1625 set price, and some other places were up in the $1800s which was ridiculous. Most of the times their prices includes searches the property might not even need, such as a flood search where I've come across them charging nearly $300 just for that search even though the property is located in a 1% flood zone. If you did your own searches in regards to that and realized you wont need that search you could save some decent money.

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Are they still around?
    Share price tanked last I heard.

16. ashimashi

ashimashi Well-Known Member

Yep, they are still up and kicking unfortunately.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Apparently they were pushing to do a lot of settlements for March/April to get some capital, will be interesting to see after that.

18. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

$900 + outlays is very reasonable for a purchase.

Regarding searches - you would be surprised on the unexpected results that come back sometimes. Although some of the searches might seem unnecessary, a few hundred $$ is a small price to pay to avoid a potential nightmare. The chance of there being a resumption notice is very very low but I would never not do the search.

Keep in mind that the solicitor recommending the searches has not seen the property. Even if it is at the top of a hill I would recommend a flood search because there may still be overland flow issues and I probably don't know it's on the top of a hill unless you tell me. With that said there are generally free flood mapping tools for most areas or it is included in your council search.

19. markson

markson Well-Known Member

Looking at going with Certus for my next property in Brisbane. I just dont understand the difference in the searches and what is really required. What is the advantage in getting the Premium service. Is it worth the money?

Untitled.jpg Untitled2.jpg

20. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Premium is in line with what is recommended by the law society in QLD.

Limited town planning certificate. - tells you what the zone is and some possible uses. You can find this out for free online yourself.

Building notices search - tells you if council has hit the property with any notices for unlawful building work, and also notes approvals, inspections and inspections not completed

Electricity provider search - tells you if electricity connected and what tariff it is on - apart from the tariff bit I think you can work it out

QCAT search - is the vendor in any QCAT action. primarily looking for neighborhood disputes including olds ones.

Most people use value.