Conveyancer In Perth

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Liquidpop, 15th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Liquidpop

Liquidpop New Member

I will be heading to Perth for a business trip in a couple of days and would like to meet up with a couple of conveyancers there. Are there any recommended WA conveyancers?

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

4. Liquidpop

Liquidpop New Member

@Westminster well just looking around for some house and land around Perth ;) and would like to get a clear picture of the conveyancing differences between WA and QLD. I think Perth might be worth a much closer look soon and since im there on business I want to usethe time well Thanks @Perthguy for the recommendation.

thydzik likes this.
  5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

My favourite thing about conveyancing in WA compared to QLD is the 3 day grace period at settlement.

In Qld, it's settle or die :) (Well, not always, but if you have a nasty vendor it can be!)

Liquidpop likes this.
  6. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

7. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Heidi Hunter seem pretty good - have had a few clients use them and they're generally quite good/efficient.

8. Westminster

+1 on them. I used to use HH before MDHLegal. I changed to MDH Legal (formerly called Devita and Dixon) because they are conveyancers and a lawyer so if anything gets tricky I can get a sternly worded email from a Lawyer :cool:

9. Westminster

If you are coming over for work and a looksee, I and many other Perthies would be happy to have a coffee and a chat.

Jess Peletier and Perthguy like this.
  10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I should be able to recite the WA settlement process from the buyers point of view as I have done my own settlements twice in WA as a buyer. This is off the top of my head as a rough guide only, so I might miss some steps.
    1. offers are made on a standard REIWA offer and acceptance form.
    2. once the vendor signs an offer, the contract starts.
    3. there is a finance clause (typically 21 days) and a settlement clause (typically 21 days after finance)
    4. conveyancer will do a title search
    5. conveyancer will verify the identity of the purchaser
    6. conveyancer will contact Council, electricity provider, water provider and get a statement of rates for each
    7. conveyancer contacts your bank to get mortgage details
    8. conveyancer prepares a transfer of land (landgate) form which you must sign
    9. someone prepares a mortgage form (landgate) which you must sign (maybe the bank's solicitor?)
    10. conveyancer prepares cheque instructions and forwards to bank
    11. conveyancer prepares a statement of settlement (fees, rates pro-rata, etc)
    12. you have to get the offer and acceptance stamped at the Office of State Revenue. We were asked to pay stamp duty prior to settlement. Check with you conveyancer about this. Because we were borrowing the stamp duty, it cause some issues at settlement.
    13. conveyancer organises settlement at a specific date and time, the bank's representative, the vendors conveyancer and your conveyancer will meet and exchange cheques
    14. conveyancer will lodge the transfer of land form and mortgage form with landgate.

The property is yours w00t! :)

As I said, that's just off the top of my head, so have very likely missed some steps. For your info, you can get sample copies of an offer and acceptance, transfer of land form and mortgage form from landgate. Best to check all this with your conveyancer though.

Liquidpop likes this.
  11. Liquidpop

Liquidpop New Member

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I would definitely love to have a cuppa with you but my schedule is rather tight on this trip. Let you know if anytime frees up. Cheers

Perthguy likes this.
  12. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Yeah I think you're better off asking around here about the settlement process rather than trying to question a settlement agent. @Perthguy just did a great rundown earlier - not sure what else you would get from a settlement agent on top of that.

13. Westminster

It's more important to learn about making a good offer and conditions and how that differs. You may wish to consult your conveyancer or lawyer and broker before that to get their opinion On conditions.

For example @Perthguy wrote the standard is 21 days to finance but I have commonly seen 28 days and use that or more myself. House and land may have different again, I know some allow 45 days for finance which is lovely.

Perthguy and JenW like this.
  14. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

I used Sash Conveyancing, was happy with her

15. Ketsle

Ketsle Well-Known Member

Hi team, looking for recommendations for conveyancers in 2019 as this thread is a few years old!

Thanks in advance

16. Westminster

I'm still happily using Melissa Dixon at MDH Legal. Welcome to MDH Legal

Ketsle likes this.