NSW Converting cladding to brick walls on a property.Feasible?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Vishh, 10th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I am looking for brick house and I am a FHB. I came across this property and going to inspect , but in dliemma since it meets half of my criteria.

The front section is brick and looks good.

upload_2020-12-10_13-35-44.png

The rear wall is cladding and not so pleasing. Pics suggest some reno work is required.

upload_2020-12-10_13-37-31.png

I suspect they might have renvoated only fonrt portion some time back or for selling.
    So unless rear wall is changed, my wife says no to the house. ;)

Since this is in a location I am after, I thought if I can convert rear and side wall to brick, then worth a try.
    Contacted couple of builders, but no reponses yet.

Any idea on feasibility, cost and time required.
    Is council approval required?

Any suggestions please?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Basically you want to brick veneer the sides/back.

Needs strip footings, asbestos removal from eaves, cladding removed, install wall/ceiling insulation, brickwork, replace windows.

You will need a DA/CC.

A much lighter alternative would be blue board & render or slim brick.

Pingu1988 and Vishh like this.
  3. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Thanks. Any idea on costs for both options.

1) Needs strip footings, asbestos removal from eaves, cladding removed, install wall/ceiling insulation, brickwork, replace windows.

2)blue board & render or slim brick.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Ask a QS or a local builder.

Why do you prefer brick, totally unnecessary for heat insulation?

5. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Since front portion is brick already, that will give a nice look.
    Have some kind of feeling, brick walls means strong house. :) And brick may respond well to rain/sun.

6. Ike Sander

Ike Sander Member

Have you inspected the property in person or just look at it online? The property looks to be in bad shape, probably not livable. The stump on the corner looks crooked, can be a major structural issue

Attached Files:

7. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Just online as of now, but going to inspect tomorrow.
    If issue is with one stump only, then can't that stump be repaired. I read like repairs of individual stump cost 2k-3k. But I am no expert so depending on how it goes tomorrow I will update.

8. Ike Sander

Ike Sander Member

Just from the look of it on the photos you uploaded, there are quite a few signs that the property is in bad shape. Probably hasn't been occupied for a while. When there are signs of structural issues or pest, you should always involve professionals to assess it. Unless it is much cheaper to compensate for all of the repair cost and the headache of managing the work, or it is in a unique area that you can't find other options, usually people would suggest you to run away from properties with structural issues.

I once looked at a property that has several hairline cracks at corners of doors and windows. Except for that the property is perfect for our family and we were prepared to pay 800+ for it. But the cracks worried me and I ordered building and pest inspection. Turned out it has major structural issue, has been restumped recently, and the building guy said that it is now cracking and unleveled again. This one was put on auction for 690-770, but the highest bid was 725. It is now listed at $750k. I think I can spend $15-20k to restump the whole property, and fixing all the cracks, repaint the house. But who knows whether it will continue to crack and give me all the headache in the future? And considering there are plenty of other properties on the market, why bother with this one?

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-vermont-134663958

Vishh likes this.
  9. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Thanks.I will check in detail tomorrow and let you know.
    But if there are structural issues I will just leave it.

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Whats the land value ?
    It may be worth less than land value due to demo costs and site clearance and disconnect of services etc. I suspect its only not a demo as they want it sold without GST being involved.

I personally loved the bars on the windows (front only). Surely nobody would break in.

11. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

We loved that too, but does that indicate there are more breakins in the area? ;)

Land value is 460k.
    I captured some pics duringinspection. As @Ike Sander mentioned, nobody is currently living and I could spot some hairline cracks too.

I feel reno wont be enough.
    Funny thing is Agent said he got offers for 20k more than listed price.So dropped out.

Some pics below.
    IMG-0242.jpg IMG-0250.jpg IMG-0252.jpg IMG-0253.jpg

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A reno with a bulldozer will work. It is past its useby date at approx 70 years of age. Whats the land size ? It may be why offers of $20K above land have been made but I assume not accepted. And why its vacant. Possibly someone who wants their $$$ back after buying a dud. Happens a bit. Have you checked title history using the contract ? A dual income use could mean it worth just more (duplex / house + GF etc) or even two villas but a risk of overpaying once all dev costs are factored in. Is the side / rear cladding fibre panels ? ie asbestos. Will also add to demo costs but isnt a major problem but means licensed contractors and waste costs but once the cladding is gone it may just be back of a truck to dump the rest.

Worth asking a local town planner for ideas on site use and stick to a price based on its potential.

Whats around it ? Much the same ?

13. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Land size is 556 sqm.
    This property was last transacted in the year 2000.
    Yes it is.So asbestos guaranteed.
    The surrounding properties were sold in 750-800 and one for 900k(during 2017 peak). All of them were in good condition and liveable.
    The REA got those estimates and put that. I have dealt with another agent before who laughed off when I quoted my price, After it was unsold for 2 months, came back to me and by then I had lost interest due to a 1200mm fresh water pipe in front yard.