Converting carport into garage

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by tone1, 7th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tone1

tone1 Active Member

I'm looking at purchasing a subdivided property (street-facing) where there is a single-car carport at the rear (it's on the land's title at the rear border).

There's cement on the ground and a pergola-looking structure as the carport.

I'd like to turn this into a garage (ideally brick) with an automated door, and also include a side-door which will lead straight into the property's backyard.

I have absolutely no idea how much this would cost to do. Has anyone got any ball-park figures or experience in this area? Anything else I should take into consideration?

Last edited: 7th Oct, 2015
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Have you got photos and/or a sketch or plan?

I did similar but the carport was under the main roof and closed it in to be a living room.

To keep costs down look at basic timber frame then blue board and render it. To can put a bag or two of insulation in the walls.

Not sure sure what does go for but get someone to come out and provide a quote, they can tell you what is best for the to install too plus they may do that type of work often and do the lot.

There is probably less than a weeks with for one chippy going the time option
    8hrs x 5days x 50/hr?

Brian84 and WestOz like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Brick walls will require a new/thicker footing - consider lightweight construction.

WestOz likes this.
  4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I doubt the pergola is council approved so that's a cost and time processing consideration.
    As Scott said the existing slab likely won't be suitable for brick.

If you really want brick you'll likely need a builder who'll organise plans, approval, required works/trades.
    More affordable option (if not DIY) is get Stratco to organise one of their contractors to come out and throw a few ideas (they do it in 3D on laptop in-front of you), provide on the spot quote etc.

Slab down is a great start provided boundary set-backs are within local legislation.
    Without site inspection, if me I'd make use of it, frame up to the edge with steel stud plate (allowing for doors, windows etc), fix trimdek or sim to it (sheets will now sit over/away from slab for water run-off), or sim to Bob's suggestion if you want that extra work/look.

Don't forget you'll need power to it for auto door, light etc.
    If council will allow consider going a bit higher with walls and pitch roof for an attic/storage.

Brian84 likes this.
  5. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Right on que

6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Also, if going to the expense of brick consider seeing if you can get parapet (boundary) walls approved by neighbors and council, otherwise you end up with ~1m x length = ? sqr mtrs wasted space between the shed and fence

7. tone1

tone1 Active Member

Thanks for the help all, I'll take some pictures of the carport/surrounds on the weekend and report back.

I'm not committed to brick at all, if light construction will achieve the same result with less costs and hassle, I'm happy with that. I was thinking from an investment perspective that a brick garage would add more value but if the costs are so high, it wouldn't be worth it. The house is weatherboard so I think light construction would be a better match (even if the garage is hidden at the rear).

8. tone1

tone1 Active Member

Here's the carport for conversion. The spot next to it is not on the title so it will be a fairly tight squeeze once something goes up... I can move the fence line though if need be.

Attached Files:

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Is the property behind this garage? You mention wanting a door to go through to the property's back yard, and the space beside (with a car parked) is not on title?

So, do you drive into this garage, and if there was a door in the end wall, you could walk through the back of this to the back yard? (How do you get to the house now?)

If so, I'd put something like battens on the side where it looks to have bamboo and add a tilt a door or panel lift (solid panel or open depending on what you are allowed).

10. tone1

tone1 Active Member

The property is on the left side of the carport, where you can see the lights and weatherboards. The door would need to be on the left side and that leads into the property's backyard. The car on the right is on the back unit's title.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Gotcha ;)
    I'd still just batten it out and add the door.

Why is there are fence between the driveway and the house? Can you move the fence to the other side or won't that work due to things we cannot see (ie. shared crossover?)

Last edited: 11th Oct, 2015