Converting a Strata townhouse to Torrens

Discussion in 'Development' started by eddyble, 30th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. eddyble

eddyble New Member

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a townhouse that's standalone (doesn't share any walls) within a lot of townhouses (<5 total including my own) in the inner west in Sydney (inner west LGA, Leichhardt LEP). There are some common property areas but they are all triangles of grass/plants that are functionally inaccessible to any of the residents and are for all intents and purposes unusable (i think i would need to acquire this land as part of the conversion).

The LEP stipulates that for a torrens title, the land size needs to be at least 200sqm, my property is ~190sqm so it's a tad smaller than required (this excludes the common property areas [triangles of grass mentioned above]), though i've seen other torrens title terraces with land size far smaller than 200sqm.

From the reading that i've done, i think i would need to dissolve the existing strata plan and look to subdivide the land into a new strata scheme (for the other townhouses, their lot sizes combined are too small and i don't want to do the work for them re: converting to torrens) and a torrens title (for myself). I know there are intricacies around needing water pipes/electricity etc. but i'm no engineer - i can't read the diagrams.

By my naive account, i don't see a reason that this property couldn't be converted into a torrens title so i was hoping the community could point me towards what i need to do to evaluate the viability of pursuing this endeavour. If i was to guess, i should employ a surveyor to do the leg work? Are there any other considerations i should be aware of?

Thanks

2. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

you have a few hurdles to jump
    off the top of my head....
    getting all owners in the scheme to vote and apply for termination of the strata scheme - compensation to other lots owners - DA - mortgagee's consent - re-subdivision of base parcel - provide separate services - easements - re-strata subdivision of remaining lots - new lot entitlements - duty's

how much money do you want to throw at it.

if (if) it's possible
    i would direct you to a town planner first. - then property lawyer - then surveyor

interested to see what the other experts on here have to say

Last edited: 1st Jul, 2021
  3. eddyble

eddyble New Member

Thanks for your reply bmc - looks like a lot of leg work, but i think the value a torrens title unlocks is quite substantial. It also allows for easier improvement of the building that could unlock further value.

With no understanding of what's sensible or not, i'm willing to commit up to 50k to see it through. I've reached out to a few surveyors to get quotes on the viability, but it looks like i should've reached out to a town planner first. I'll do that soon and report back - thanks again.

4. Daniel Betros

Daniel Betros New Member

The problem you face is if there is common property you might have a problem. Who will maintain the common property? Are all the townhouses access by the same driveway? How are the services all distributed? Every townhouse would need their own services separately, not through a common link. Also you have to meet the minimum lot size requirements of the council. Defiantly your first step is a town planner along with getting everyone in the complex to agree and i would imagine it would be a quick no or slow yes answer.