Converting a Portion of PPOR to let out as Internal Granny Flat.

Discussion in 'Development' started by Trimadmen, 17th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Trimadmen

Trimadmen Member

My Mother owns in lives in her own home on the Northern Beaches of Sydney in a single story 5 Bedroom house.

We had a family friend move in for a number of years and live in a part of the house where we built a separate kitchen him. He is no longer there so I am trying to come up with a way so she can generate some passive income

We are considering developing that section of the house so that it is sectioned off from the main part of the house and will include one large or two small bedrooms, upgrade to the kitchen, have it own bathroom (shower and toilet) with a small living/dining area.

I have an option to have a washing machine in the kitchen, but would think it better to have two washing machines in the external laundry and having it shared.

I am aware that there will need to be a separate entry, I have also read that you can get separate internal meters installed. But I'm not sure what else we should be considering?

Will this affect her as she is on the Old Age Pension?

What do I need to request from or advise the local council?

Can we not share a Laundry?

Any information or links to other threads that may have already covered this topic would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes

3. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

To section it off and get approval you would need a firewall that extends into the roof among other things. Best to consult a Town Planner to see what would be needed in your area.

You also need to consider that if the kitchen is not approved then it can void the insurance on the whole property.

Considering your mother lives in the home, why not sublease a section of the property?

4. Trimadmen

Trimadmen Member

Thanks Archaon, can you explain this part with more detail?

5. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

I mean like having a boarder/student etc.

Alot of accounting/legal and tax issues that need to be explored also.