Converting 2Br to 3Br Unit

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by chunho01, 4th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. chunho01

chunho01 Well-Known Member

In Victoria, inner suburbs, do I require a planning permit and/or a building permit to convert part of the living room to a 3rd bedroom?
    • A window is already there so natural lighting and ventilation req are ticked.
    • No adverse structural effect if I am only adding two internal walls and a door.
    Where can I check if the unit forms part of the owner corporation if it is a small subdivided triplex or duplex? In case this will also require owner corporation's approval.

I'm assuming planning permit is required after all? If not how can I advertise/register it as 3 bedroom in future when selling?

2. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Does it have one or two car spaces? If only one, it won’t be permitted to be called a 3bdr.

3. chunho01

Single garage only.

Who is responsible for registering the number of bedrooms? I have seen lots of cramped units with '3 bedrooms' but one of it is more like a study really.... barely fit a single bed in.

For my case, I need the room for practical/family purposes, but I'd like to do this properly.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have you considered a full height folding screen? Ceiling/floor tracks or barrel bolts on bottoms of panels & a door for the last panel?

Even if the doors are frosted or glazed, it will provide light and privacy.

Archaon likes this.
  5. Thomacino

Thomacino Well-Known Member

Is this a Melbourne/Vic requirement?

6. housechopper2

Yes. Some developers for newer apartments are able to claim an exemption from council, but these exemptions don’t apply to existing older units like the one described above

7. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

In NSW if you do so without council approval you can be charged with man slaughter if someone is killed in your unit due to a fire or lack of exits etc. please take great care. The case study is in Bankstown where a young lady jumped to her death from the balcony from an illegally constructed 3rd bedroom. it appears the agent, owner and builder conspired to add the third bedroom without council approval.

8. chunho01

Can I apply for it to be a 'study' instead?
    I just need the room for family usage.

The below must be the requirement you mentioned:

https://www.planning.vic.gov.au/__d.../97152/PPN22-Using-Car-Parking-Provisions.pdf

The interpretation can be vague? On whether the requirement applies.

"Is the proposal a new use or the extension of the floor area of an existing use?"​

If I am adding a room but not extending the floor area?

I did, but worried that it'll be unsightly when I do get visitors. It is a valid idea though, do you have examples of how it can be done tastefully?

Last edited: 7th Jan, 2020
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

10. housechopper2

You are clearly intending to use it as a bedroom. So no, you can’t call it a ‘study’.

if council consider a room can be used as a bedroom, they will call it one.

Last edited: 7th Jan, 2020