Conversion of small space to study

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Traveller99, 8th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

In light of the WFH movement and thinking long term regarding a house I own, Ive been contemplating ways to increase my rental yield and make the property more desirable for renters, particularly families whereby one or more of the adults need a study space.

The stand alone property is located in the inner/middle ring north of Melbourne and has always rented with no problems. Long term tenants recently moved out and I had 40 walk throughs over two inspections with quick applications and currently good tenants. Basically, an aspirational area.

House
    At the rear of the two bedroom home, I have a space/room that is currently occupied with large cupboards on either side. There is a window on one side and there is no door to enter. The space is near on 4m2; small.

I'm thinking about turning it into a study with a fixed desk and building in cupboards on the sides. In doing this, the property would lose storage space. I'm also thinking about solutions for the door, or not putting one in at all,

Am really reaching out for thoughts on my approach. Do you think this addition can allow me to increase the rent and add desirability?

If you need more information, do let me me know.

Attached Files:

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Good plan, with doors and should i / shouldn't i ...... how about a door that is not always there (slides away, folds back etc) that way it can house a teenager couch surfing OR someone working or studying

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Do the bedrooms have built-in storage?

Do the people who rent comment on storage, or a place to work from home?

I think it depends on the demographic of those looking to rent there. What does the agent say? Do you have an agent?

I'd want to remove the walls between kitchen and living rooms, but that is another story.

Marg4000 likes this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Do you mean the laundry room at the back? I assume the laundry is like a cupboard laundry?

So you have really only the wall opposite the cupboard laundry free?

To be honest turning that area into a laundry/bathroom would probably get more rent but it would be more expensive.

I'm not sure I'd want a combined laundry and study, it just doesn't seem conducive and I'd be hesitant to have study stuff near some types of dryers.

Firefly99 likes this.
  5. Westminster

BTW I'd turn that house into a 3 x 2 in a heartbeat if it's in a good area

craigc, Sackie and MWI like this.
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Where would you put the ensuite - Bed 1?

7. Westminster

Potentially but honestly I'd probably just leave the bathroom where it is and not have it ensuite style. Then convert the laundry/storage area at the back to be the second bathroom

Lacrim likes this.
  8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

A good segue question is whether a 3x2 house with 2 publicly accessed bathrooms is of equal appeal to a 3x2 but with one bathroom ensuited?

Westminster likes this.
  9. Westminster

A proper ensuite will always be more appealing it just depends on how much money people want to spend.
    On this house you could decrease the size of the master and put it on the right hand side and then keep the existing bathroom as the main bathroom.
    Or if money is tight then convert the laundry area to a second bathroom as there is already plumbing on that side and not have dedicated access to the first bathroom from the master bedroom.

Lacrim likes this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

My personal opinion is if the OP decided to add another bathroom, and the house was not on a slab, it would be worth spending an extra $2K say to get plumbing to B1 for an ensuite. It would be penny wise, pound foolish to spend close to $10K on a bathroom conversion otherwise.

Re: the OP's question re: study, and being the el crammo landlord that I am, I'd probably find a way to make it 4x1 or 4x2.

11. Traveller99

No, they don't comment. I just know that storage is always aa a premium thus I wonder if there would be enough. Both bedrooms have large robes built-in so this may be enough.

I'm yet to speak with my agent. Just sourcing some ideas from PC at this stage.

Terrific idea on the wall. I've been thinking about removing it as well and opening up the space.

12. Traveller99

Yes, the room with the dimensions below the laundry. It is separated by a wall. At this stage I was going to leave the laundry as is, although the idea of an additional bathroom would be convenient. It's a small space no wider than two washing machines.

13. Traveller99

An ensuite is always ideal but might get pricey for me. Thanks for the idea.

14. Traveller99

Thanks everyone for your insights. They are super helpful. I'm looking at renovating when the current tenants move on, whenever this may be.

Possible plans
    1. Convert room '1900/2050' into a small study with built in desk and cupboards. The home has high ceilings so big cupboards are possible. Add a door (barn door/sliding door) for noise.

2. Knock out wall between kitchen and living room, opening up space for kitchen/living and dining. Close off rooms (remove double stained glass doors or keep?) turning the dining room into a third bedroom with entrance from hallway.

3. Turn laundry into second bathroom

15. Traveller99

Thanks. Was also looking at barn doors, but definitely some space saving door is needed.

Edit:
    Sorry, but just realised I could have replied to all in one comment. Apologies. Will do that next time

16. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Depending on how important the back door is you could turn bed 2 into the master with the laundry as the en-suite.

17. Traveller99

I did some tinkering.

I know it's a massive stretch, but any circa cost estimates on either or changes?

Attached Files: