Construction cost Estimate

Discussion in 'Development' started by dev_melb08, 29th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dev_melb08

dev_melb08 Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,
    I am looking for rough $/sqm or $/SQ calculation for feasibility calculations for a medium built spec for town house projects duplex and townhouses triplex ? For ease of calculations, let’s say

Duplex: 5TH - 100SQ of built inc garage
    Triplex: 5TH- 100 SQ of built inc garage - not underground
    Triplex: 5TH - 100 SQ of built inc Underground garage

I found some calculations in BMT, but I don’t know how accurate it will be as they give both 2 storey and 3 storey almost same cost which may not be correct.

2. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Generic sq rates are not suited to anything other than "traditional" housing (especially with underground parking)
    It would be worthwhile spending a small (relatively) fee and having one of the low level estimating firms run some figures for you

David_SYD, Westminster and Lindsay_W like this.
  3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Seems this question is getting asked a lot lately

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Your terms have me a little confused but that might be a state issue (I’m in WA)

A duplex is 2 dwelling project and a triplex is three dwelling project. I think you seem to be asking for prices for 5 townhouses with a total of 100 squares of construction and two storey, three storey and three storey plus basement garage?

The Rawlinson guides may assist you but it would be best to talk to a builder or estimator as there are many factors that impact costs such as slope, soil type and then on top of that infrastructure and council charges.

Archaon likes this.
  5. dev_melb08

Thanks Guys, I think I will find an estimator.

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I was doing my cals on $1500 per sq, this was Melb, smaller builder, average specs?? A few years ago now

Phone some builders and ask the question. Clearly it will be to gage moving forward

Lindsay_W likes this.
  7. Westminster

Do you mean $1500 per square meter or $15,000 per square?

8. dev_melb08

9. dev_melb08

Duplex is 2 storey and triplex is 3 storey.. so I was asking finger tips cost for rough guide feasibility for a 2 storey 5TH project and 3 storey 5TH project

10. dev_melb08

I’m guessing it will be more like 15000/SQ for a lower to medium spec Two storey townhouse

11. Lindsay_W

$15000/sqm??!!:confused:
    Any chance you could contact some builders and ask them, then report back here?

12. Westminster

He's using squares not sqm. It's a melbourne thing. A square is 100 square feet (yup hello imperial!!) which is approx 9.29 sqm. I just times or divide by 10 to make my brain not hurt. So if someone says a house is 15 squares it's approx 150sqm or if it costs $15,000 per square then it's about $1500 psqm

Tufan Chakir, Lindsay_W and Archaon like this.
  13. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

square.JPG

Lindsay_W and Westminster like this.
  14. Westminster

@Dev
    As a very very very rough guide I would add an extra $100 psqm (or $1000 per square) for every additional storey and it totally depends what you want to include in that construction rate. Let's say pure construction no turnkey items and no earthworks I'll use $1400 per sqm for 2 storey, $1500 per sqm for three storey and $1600 per sqm for 3 storey with basement parking.

Note the larger the upper plates are the more it would be. So if your third storey is just 20sqm (bedroom and bathroom) vs third storey that is 100sqm and needs more engineering/support to carry the load at ground level etc.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  15. Lindsay_W

Makes much more sense now, thanks @Westminster @Archaon for clarifying
    As you were

16. Nimai Hawkins

Nimai Hawkins Member

Just for some disambiguation, I work in construction and development in Vic and duplex refers to two units, not two storeys. Although I've never heard the term triplex, it would follow to reason that it refers to a 3 unit development, not 3 storeys.

With regards to construction cost, I have sought numerous quotes from builders for a mid-spec 3 unit townhouse development in Melbourne, and I can say that the Rawlinsons Construction Cost guide rates are quite accurate.

Townhouses cost about $2,000/m2 ($18.5k/SQ) +GST to build in Vic for mid-spec. Add about $200/m2 if you are going for a more premium fitout. Whether it's a two storey or three storey development doesn't make too much of a difference, just apply that square metre rate and you should be in the ballpark.

17. dev_melb08

Thanks.. when I say three storey, I mean Garage in bottom, followed by first and second floor.. you will find the in GRZ where we are try to fit as much units possible, this is a common fashion.. check development in Reservior area for example..
    I was referring duplex TH being TH with garage on side which is what we generally find in GRZ areas in most of suburbs.

As for costing, I have kind of come to conclusion of 17-18K/SQ for normal TH and three storey I.e. garage and two floors on top, to be around 21K/SQ. Is there any free copies of Rawlinson construction guide Available ? M not in construction so not sure how much I will be able to digest it.