Constant maintenance, ending tenancy on hardship grounds

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by RachelAdelaide, 25th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Maybe the PM is getting kickbacks from the 'repairs'?

On the flipside, I'm more than happy for you to move into my IP.

You won't get any visits from tradies because I won't fix anything;)

Biz and housechopper2 like this.
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Yes within a reasonable timeframe after they are reported to not be in working order.

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I can't help thinking that most tenant complaints arise from maintenance requests being ignored or denied and here we have a tenant complaining that the LL (via his/her PM) is doing too much maintenance. :confused:

I personally have no issue with the PM handing out keys to trades-people. But I do get why a female tenant may not want that to happen when she is not home (although why would a female tenant want to be home alone with a tradie??) BUT bear in mind that the trades-people being used have more than likely been used by the REA for some time and their is some element of trust that has been built-up.

wylie likes this.
  4. RachelAdelaide

RachelAdelaide Member

Have you had a read through the whole thing ?? I think your forgetting that pretty much all of these repairs , were either ignored by agent before moving in or needed to be done prior to moving in, the only repair thats happened since iv been here is the clothes line. So to move into a place that i inspected prior with no issues is a bit annoying.

5. RachelAdelaide

RachelAdelaide Member

Yes, on one occasion about 3 weeks in to the tenancy i had a tradesman enter my place as i was blow drying my hair, lets just say i didnt have much on and came out to go hey hey get out, asked why he had keys and he said agent gave them to him, this repair was obviously meant to be done when it was vacant and hes forgotten so thought was still vacant and agent gave him the keys knowing its not vacant.

6. RachelAdelaide

RachelAdelaide Member

The repairs that they missed ?

7. RachelAdelaide

RachelAdelaide Member

Not with this REA company, no word of a lie some of them said this was there last job for they will do for them as many of times the repair is not what the agent has written down. And another tradesman had just started working for them. They dont give keys to just tradesman they give them to anyone that needs to enter such as someone from a tile company

8. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

On the flip side, I would imagine you would be very displeased if there was maintenance needed and the landlord was unresponsive. On the one hand, some of the repairs such as painting could have been done before you moved in, though on the other hand, you rented the place in "as is" condition and it sounds like the landlord is improving the property for you as funds become available which is pretty good :)

9. RachelAdelaide

RachelAdelaide Member

Come again ? I rented the place which on inspection had no broken tiles , no cords hanging out power points , and I should have a set of keys to every door , I never asked for the fan to be fixed it actually did work when I tried it but that and the wall was obviously meant to be done prior to me moving in and I have a right to privacy so explain how that can be when blinds are broken ?? Also tell me how that’s improving a place lol wow

10. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

This is prolly not the best place to get sympathy for tenants. From a landlords point of view, this whole thing looks very different.

11. RachelAdelaide

RachelAdelaide Member

Looks that way , maybe should be called LL Chat then .
    But I wasn’t here for sympathy i just wanted to know a few things regarding the Q I asked if it were to be the way i went

12. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @RachelAdelaide

Bear in mind we did not see your rental before you moved in compared to now etc. We can offer ideas and perspectives from afar with limited info ;)

13. RachelAdelaide

RachelAdelaide Member

Thank you , but I don’t think ild come on here and say a bunch of nonsense for advice if it weren’t true , everything I have is in email or text message. My problem isn’t about a repair here and there , I know these things happen but because they failed to inform me on repairs that weren’t done during the vacant period and things that clearly were obvious such as broken tiles that’s a safety hazard with a child they also failed to respond to me about that And the keys to start wifh , I left the blinds until those repairs were done to mention the blinds . And I’m sure most people wouldn’t Like strangers entering when there not home iv had to take quite a bit of time off and also abused when I had to cancel a tradesman due to sickness .

End of the day the repairs weren’t ya general hinge of door type