Consolidating Council Rates

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by alps, 22nd Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alps

alps Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Wasn't sure which forum best suited this question, but wondering anyone knows if its possible to somehow consolidate 2 Council Rates when one occupier is living in what is now being used as one house over 2 titles sharing common facilities as their PPOR? Quick call to Council said no, but thought I'd ask the question?

Thanks.

2. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Yes it is possible, I have done it. Did you ask if it is council policy, or if they are too lazy or incompetent.

3. alps

alps Well-Known Member

Told me flatly no, and that the only way was to consolidate the 2 titles into 1 which would cost thousands of dollars and not likely to result in a Council Rate savings anyway.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@alps - they are two separate lots, both with rights to build separate dwellings. Consolidation of the two blocks would be the only option (need to relinquish titles to consolidate them, new titles issued, new loan from the bank, surveyor fees (possibly legals as well)).

Just because you own them both doesn't mean that you should be getting one rates notice as they can be sold independently.

@bmc or @lixas4 could add weight to the argument either way.

bmc likes this.
  5. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

ask them about "contiguous rating"
    some councils offer it and may save you paying double for waste services etc.

i don't see any benefit consolidating the lots into one title, its only going to cost you in Survey and Land Title fees unnecessarily.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  6. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

I didn't have to relinquish titles to consolidate. I have had 5 tittles on the one bill. The rates are calculated on NAV. It just makes administration much more efficient. The Bill is consolidated not the tittle. I have sold properties on consolidated bills, it makes no difference Settlements adjustments for rates are made pro rata.( proportional %). Some councils will automatically consolidate you dont have much choice, some water authorities do the same thing .

Scott No Mates likes this.
  7. Fernfurn

Fernfurn Well-Known Member

I bought a house in Geelong with the title to the block next door tied to it for cheaper rating. I don't know if all councils do it, but that was only three years ago. It was rated as 6-8 whatnot street on one bill. When I wanted to build on the block it was not a big deal to uncouple it.