Consequences of financing for a PPOR later swapped to IP

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by John64, 5th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. John64

John64 New Member

Hi, I'm just curious - my broker that I am talking to about my first (hypothetical) property purchase has asked me whether I'll be living in it as a PPOR or renting it out as an IP. They inform me that I can borrow more if I use it as a PPOR.

Truth be told I am not looking to move into a new place any time soon. But... I am wondering what the consequences would be of borrowing for a PPOR, "moving in" to it for a week, then moving out, and renting it out as an IP? What happens in that scenario? Does the bank suddenly own the house? Can I get sued? Etc...

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

If you are asking ‘does the bank suddenly own the house’, you dont have the knowledge framework to understand the answers. All you will do is ask ‘but what if’ questions that dont make sense, get confused and give up.

Suggest you read this forum fully and maybe a few australian property books to get some basics first to know the right questions to ask and understand the answers.

if you are serious about doing this, work on your income or find a source of finance.

Last edited: 5th Dec, 2021
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It sounds like you want to get the owner occupier interest rate - is that correct?

4. John64

John64 New Member

Correct.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Why try to be tricky and risk being caught out?

Will you also try to pay owner occupier transfer duty?

Have you looked at what happens to those who try this, and are caught? (And I believe OSR do check these things.)

I wouldn't risk it. ;)

I just checked and there is .3% difference with Westpac owner occupied vs investor rate. It's tax deductible too.

6. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

There is no consequences in what you want to do, however on your loan doc package I beleive requires you to notify the bank when anything changes.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

But I wonder how many people actually do?

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

One consequence of it not being owner occupied is the rate could change (UP) if the lender has a different loan rate for investor loans. Owner occupier loans are usually the cheaper rates and some lenders are same.

Also consider stamp duty and land tax issues and insurances. This could even see a duty concession retrospectively cancelled and first home buyer concessions are well targetted by the state govt. The First Home Loan Deposit scheme has a rule concerns 80%+ LVR loans being owner occupied. If you move out you may need to take out LMI if the place is rented. Lenders have got better at identification of the issue. eg You seek to change the postal address. Your banking app and card addresses and more. Around 5+ years back lenders got pinged by APRA from not having a clue about who was investor and who was a owner occupier.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF