Travel & Holidays Connecting flights

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Owlet, 23rd Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Hi
    Has anyone flown Melb to Penang and needed to change planes at Singapore? Eg Mel to Sin gets in at 5.50pm and Sn to Penang leaves at 7.30pm?
    Is there enough time to collect luggage from the carousel, go through customs, re-enter customs and get on board the connecting flight? Why would Jetstar do this?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Usually your bags will be checked through the whole way, so you won’t be collecting anything off the carousel halfway. You just get off the plane with your carry on stuff, hang around the airport and then board the next plane when called. You only collect the checked bags from the carousel after the last flight.

That’s what’s happened every time I’ve had to change planes enroute to another destination.

The only exception is if you have an overnight layover - which I had once in Manila enroute to Japan. In that case, the flight included a night in a hotel so I had to collect my checked baggage.

3. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

I just read through the company's info on this and it says they also transfer the luggage for you if both flights were made in the same booking. Ours weren't. Both Jetstar. Rang them and they said they cant do anything.
    Plan B - put everything in carry on luggage???
    Next time - use a travel agent instead of DIY.

4. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

yes - that's the problem - went for the cheap tickets. To re-book today would be $900 one way pp - so not feasible to cop some monetary pain. Next flight on the second leg is not until the following afternoon. I am so out of practice!

5. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Y-Man did you make it?

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If your ticket shows destination Mel - Penang (transit through Changi) then they will do your luggage all the way through. But if you bought tickets to Singapore and then Singapore to Penang then it's not so simple. When you arrive to Melbourne airport you might be able to sweet talk your check in person and see if they can arrange transfer of your luggage through to Penang

You shouldn't need to go through customs. You can get off plane, go through arrival immigration, get luggage, and maybe you'll be able to use a transfer counter/lounge if you have checked in online otherwise go check-in with Jetstar
    I would however use carry on if possible as if your flight arrives late it's ok.

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I just looked at Skyscanner. Singapore Penang one way flights start at $40 on Jetstar ($37 AirAsia). That was picking a July date at random (July 17). Five AirAsia flights to choose from, two Jetstar. So I suspect that if you miss one, it won't cost you that much.

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Changi's pretty efficient - I think you might be ok. You've basically got an hour, and JQ both legs would hopefully mean same terminal.
    ...+ $x for luggage?

The Y-man

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I deleted my post because you answered the question for yourself :p

I only ever attempted with hand luggage.

I am hoping someone can give us more info for Changi.
    I have exited to do a free tour thing ~ it takes about 15~20 min to clear immigration - no idea for bag collect and recheck-in.

What's the cost to change the SIN-PEN run?

The Y-man

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that price doesn't include checked baggage. Plus those flights were in USD. Plus the prices we t up when I went back to Skyscanner. Plus it would cost you more if you bought tickets at Changi.

But it still won't cost anywhere like the $900 to rebook. And you may not have to wait too long for another flight

I've had some very tight changeovers (not in Asia) which really worried me. But they went smoothly.

I know it's too late now, but the online booking agents don't let you book a changeover that's too tight - if you make them in one booking.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We recently had this issue when the agent didn't arrange a through ticket from Sydney to Brisbane after a Stockholm/Dohar/Sydney flight (why???).

We had 2.5 hours and made it with 5 minutes to spare. Hold up was waiting on the tarmac for half an hour and getting through customs with our bags. The shuttle transfer was quick and we didn't have to wait for it. Without the tarmac hold up we would have made it in two hours. Customs was the biggest hold up. And we declared a timber item because to not declare it could have been even worse.

If you can do carry on luggage you might have a chance.

12. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Thats the issue - they were booked separately. When we decided to go to Penang the same day - I called to see if they could amend our flight. It was going to cost around $80 per person or some ridiculous amount that was way more than me just booking the flight. I didn' t think about this luggage issue nor did they bring it to my attention if I did it this way. It only cropped up last night.

13. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Looked at that and Plan C - There is a 10.30pm Air Asia flight if we miss the connection with having hand luggage. That will cost $85 pp plus whatever taxes. That stuffs up our accommodation because we booked a hotel / suite that turns out to be private accommodation where the owner will meet us there.
    It sure will be interesting and it will work itself out :)

14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Tell the owner - people often don't turn up at they time they plan. They will probably have an alternative check-in option. But if not, at least you'll know upfront.

15. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

phone person said bags must be checked at 6.30 for 7.30 flight so we have 40 mins. Hand luggage it is! The start of a holiday is meant to be exciting.....

16. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses - I managed some sleep last night. I'll post an update to let you know how it worked out.

17. Gockie

If you had plans to do any shopping I hope you don't have this issue for your return trip too. Anyway, you'll probably find travelling lightly very liberating :)

18. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

just noticed you changed your avatar :)

Gockie likes this.
  19. Gockie

Love Leunig cartoons. This cartoon for me means... don't worry... be happy. And keep it simple. :)
    And I think it's completely appropriate for your situation.

Hope you have smooth sailings/travels. This is a Chinese saying... "一帆風順"

20. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

We are not big shoppers. I originally was going to try the trip with 7kg of hand luggage - then I thought don't be so ridiculous and pay for at least 2 checked in bags. :rolleyes: If we lose our empty case - I am sure we could buy a cheapie or just check in 2 bags hand luggage on the return home.
    plus wear a few layers getting on the plane.
    I don't actually mind the whole taking less. Will have to buy toiletries, sunscreen. tweezers, deodorant, razors etc there though as they can't go in hand luggage.