Confusion on CGT

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Cherrychan, 4th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cherrychan

Cherrychan Active Member

I currently own one property and reside in it as my PPOR. I'm likely to put it on the market within 6 to 8 months.

I'm currently looking at purchasing a second property. I will rent it out for 6 months or so until my first property is sold and then move into my second property once the lease expires.

If I renovate and then put the second house on the market within a year of living there, will I be liable for any CGT having rented it out? Is there any rule such has you have to reside in your PPOR for a year etc for it to not be liable for CGT?

Thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes you will be liable.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The main residence exemption only starts when you reside in the premises. However there is a 6 month overlap rule which you may think about.

It allows you to own a MR and move into a new MR and provided you sell the first MR within 6 months then the MRE applies to both. But the 6 months is strict. You need to be absolutely sure it has gone to contract within that time.

This wont address the issue of the new MRE being taxable for its initial 6 months (when it sells) but should guide a strategy that avoids the problem

4. Paul@PAS

There is also a three month rule for new constructions. If you contract to build, move in and later sell and haven't lived there for at least three months the MRE doesn't apply.

5. Cherrychan

Cherrychan Active Member

Thanks. I think I understand it now.

6. Paul@PAS

Buying a tenanted property is a CGT trap. A issue to negotiate with price ?

7. Cherrychan

Cherrychan Active Member

It's currently empty. I'd move in, renovate, then sell. Except I've got maybe 2 or 3 months left until my current reno is finished, then probably 2 to 3 months until the property sells. So I may be jumping the gun a little. CGT is annoying...

8. Paul@PAS

Then its likely that tax law says its not a capital gain eligible for any exemption. You didnt ask for tax advice before starting ? Rather silly.