Conflict of interest that should be declared/BA licence required?

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Ros, 17th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ros

Ros Active Member

A property investment firm guides a client towards purchase of H&L package (sales completed by employees)
    The owner/director of said company is also owner/director of the building company
    Unfortunately properties are over contract dates and/or taking months sitting at various stages with no work being done. (numerous other issues too many to mention)

Is this a conflict of interest that needs to be disclosed?
    And is there a requirement for a REA Licence to be held?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

A licence is needed to sell properties of which you are not an owner. So probably a licence would be needed.

If an agent has an indirect interest in the property being sold this would also probably need to be declared - but I haven't checked the legislation,.

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I don't understand what this has to do with a potential conflict of interest?

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

But who owns the land?

Builder & agent are related parties.

5. Ros

Ros Active Member

@thatbum Clarification- They're unsure whether any liability could fall on the business and /or sales people who sold this to them in the first place or whether it's just the company that they have the building contract with
    They're wanting to put complaints in wherever they can to get the regulators to look into their practices.
    We're aware that licensing exists for brokers and there's requirements around referral partners and that there's no real regulator for PIAs but whether there's other regulators they fall under

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

The 'fair trading' departments regulate real estate licencing. Perhaps you could give them a call.

Also look at the ACCC who regulate false and misleading practices - maybe give them a call too.

Ros likes this.
  7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I don't quite understand what they want to happen. Is their issue with the delays and the (lack of) work, or the conflict of interest issues?

If I were them, I would focus on what the actual main issue is, and not just try and complain about anything they can think of, and seeing what sticks.

8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I don't really understand what a real estate investment company is but say a person went to an independent financial advisor and that person advised you to buy their product without disclosing that it is their product. I can see that would be an issue. But it is a breach of fiduciary duty, not conflict of interest. I can't tell from the O.P. whether the investment property advisor owed the client a fiduciary duty. It's not clear to me. I am fairly certain there is no conflict of interest though