Condition Report after taking over a lease/bond

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by k-dos, 4th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

But unless these happen at the last minute, they would be picked up by routine inspections.

Rats, dog poo, 5 years (?) of dirt, and mould growth would be hard to miss.

And presumably the new owner or someone inspected the property prior to its “recent purchase” ?
    Marg

Angel likes this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I expected my idea might have flaws. How would this situation be dealt with in NSW?

I would have thought all parties can mutually agree to cancel the old lease and create a new one to solve such a problem. In any case, the wording - some clauses in the old lease would be obsolete and there will be several new laws that will not be on the old lease. Otherwise how does the owner charge for water usage and is the owner legally required to install smoke alarms? Is the owner required to have a tested electrical safety switch?

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I don’t think a landlord’s responses to legal changes requiring installation of smoke alarms, electrical safety items etc are linked to individual leases. Those sorts of changes have to be implemented despite any existing leases.

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Thanks.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Joynz pretty much summed it up. Changes to the law affected all leases new and existing. Water efficiency measures apply to all leases, so the op may be caught out unless they're checked.

6. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

As the property is in Vic, tenant pays for water use directly in account set up in their own name. No need to go through landlord who pays for water service provision also directly in their own name.