Concrete asbestos roof tile restorations

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Bran, 13th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

There are a few mobs on the interslice that will apply an epoxy resin to bind deteriorating asbestos tiles, and then paint over the top as an alternative to replacement. This looks like a great option to me... 10 year warranty! I'm waiting for a quote, but does anyone have any experience with this?

e.g. these guys: Asbestos Cement (Fibro) - ReStyle

Taku Ekanayake likes this.
  2. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in what your quote comes back as @Bran. I'm currently looking at a potential property with deteriorating asbestos roof.
    Please keep us posted!

Bran likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

No idea but i'd like to know the cost too.

4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

$3500 @Gockie @Taku Ekanayake

This includes some minor repairs and sealing
    2x coats epoxy resin
    2x coats paint

5. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Painting a previously unpainted surface would normally be Capital i.e. 2.5%.
    Given the enthusiasm the government has for containing asbestos, I reckon there might be a chance of claiming this immediately - much better to get that $3,500 in one go as opposed to at $87.50 per year. It would probably need a Private Ruling, but this is a very easy thing to do. The key is to write in the ruling application that the work is being undertaken to make safe deteriorating asbestos.

Scott

Bran likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

S.T likes this.
  7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

This is the case. It's flaking and deteriorating

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That is $3.5k in your pocket if you just leave it alone, especially seeing you may bulldoze it one day. I don't think it is worth doing.

9. Depreciator

Flaking and deteriorating is good - well, good from a tax perspective but not so good if you're in the immediate vicinity. If the property is a new acquisition, claiming the paint job could be seen as 'initial repairs' i.e. not deductible. But the fact that it's asbestos means there might be some wriggle room. That's why a PR might be the go.. This is all just my opinion, of course.

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

?PR?

11. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Well-Known Member

Private ruling from ATO

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You will need to find out more about what they do to prepare the surface - friable asbestos is a big no no due to loose fibres. Removal of all loose and broken materials will probably be the best route. I feel a heap of variations coming on.

13. wylie

First thing is to see if the flaking is actually flaking asbestos or just the old paint. Looked like paint to me but closer inspection would help. If the asbestos looks undamaged (and looking up through the manhole it looked in good condition) then I would leave it alone for now.

I'm all for safety but I would find out for sure how sound it is before spending money on something that is only a visual "ugly" and not a safety issue.

If it is asbestos (and not just paint) flaking and fibres are floating about then I would get it replaced or sealed. When we have removed asbestos we were allowed to write it off in one year and I think we were able to claim the replacement resheeting differently than otherwise would be treated (but I'm not certain - accountant would confirm).

Bran likes this.
  14. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

How does one get a PR?

15. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

The crux of the treatment is the 'restoration' or binding of the fibres with the epoxy resin. The resin then makes it able to be painted, that's all. There is a small leak so I think it needs to be done. If I can swing an immediate deduction in the name of safety, it would seem worth pursuing

16. wylie

I always thought my accountant would organise this if we needed one?

17. Depreciator

A Private Ruling is very easy to apply for. You download a form, fill it in, and fax it off. Yes, fax. Remember fax machines?
    Someone from the ATO then often calls for a chat to clarify things. Then a few weeks later, they send you the PR. it only a applies to the person making the application.
    I have done it a few times for clients when they have posed interesting questions. They're not always depreciation related, but I'm often curious. I just write the PR as if it's my issue I want clarified.

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

How do you work out if they're asbestos tiles?

19. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

It's really obvious on the roof, and common in that era and dwelling type. You really can't miss it. I thought the whole place was until a learned friend knocked on the walls and said, nah, that's MDF. We found a hole and he was right. I took some hooks out of the bathroom walls, and that wasn't MDF.

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, I went through one with the B&P guy and he showed the difference, there was some in there. But some was not mdf, not plasterboard. Do you have some internally?
    I probably should get someone to look at the roof.